Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pain Can Be A Thermometer Of How Much We Love Others


Isaiah 21:2-4  -  A dire vision has been shown to me: The traitor betrays, the looter takes loot. Elam, attack! Media, lay siege! I will bring to an end all the groaning she caused.  At this my body is racked with pain, pangs seize me, like those of a woman in labor; I am staggered by what I hear, I am bewildered by what I see.  My heart falters, fear makes me tremble; the twilight I longed for has become a horror to me.

 

It was his job…to relate messages from God to the people he had been placed among. He was used to delivering negative news….in hopes that people would listen and turn back to the one true God…completely lay down their idols and worship of other gods. But this vision gripped him so completely that he felt the pain he had to tell them about. It woke him up in the night…and brought pure fear to his soul…for he didn’t just see the destruction of the people he warned…he felt it physically.

 

Maybe the point here is that if we truly accept God…and embrace our jobs for him in full passion…we not only see the needs of the world…but we are able to feel them like Isaiah did here.  They seem so real to us that it prompts us to be even more passionate in the way we help others. If we feel their pain that deeply….then we are more apt to act on the need they have with our whole heart.

 

Perhaps it was not stress that caused Jesus to sweat blood in Gethsemane that night he prayed to the father to see if there was any other way to save us.  Perhaps it was the pain of everyone he saved the next day when he sacrificed his perfect body on the cross. Perhaps all the physical pain he felt in the abuse….whips….walk to Golgotha with his cross…and the nails that ripped his feet and hands…was like the childbirth pains that Isaiah spoke of. 

 

There is a curious fact about childbirth pain.  I remember very clearly the 3 times that God blessed me with a child…and each time it met with severe pain.  But the pain has faded away …to a joy unspeakable as I held each baby for the first time.  The joy doesn’t deplete…it just gets deeper over the years …as you are allowed to watch them grow and realize their own purpose in life.  I bet Jesus felt the same joy as he stared into his father’s eyes face to face…perhaps hearing how proud he was of his son to have completed the job he put him on Earth to do. I believe that is what is meant in Psalm 30:5…which says…. “For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.”

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that pain can be an important thermometer of how much we truly love you and the others you have placed around us.  Forgive me for the times that I have prayed for you to take the pain away…instead of using it to feel the needs that you wanted me to help fill.  Give me a heart like Isaiah …that feels the pain of every task you give me to do…so that you will proud of me when I finally understand your plan enough to finish the task you have given me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment