Monday, July 21, 2014

Build Your House On The Rock...Then Care For It Every Day


Isaiah 28:16 - Therefore, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "Look! I am placing a foundation stone in Jerusalem. It is firm, a tested and precious cornerstone that is safe to build on. Whoever believes need never run away again.

 

Every chapter of Isaiah holds a new surprise. He shares every emotion available to us…from sadness…fear…joy…and humbleness. This chapter he shares with us a basic concept of Christianity.  God told him to tell us that God is to be our foundation.  We don’t need to take anything away from it…or add anything new.

 

Isaiah was not the only one to share this with us.  Luke 6 and Matthew 7 both record the words of Jesus about how important our foundation is.  If we build on God…his solid rock…then our lives will always have the support we need…even in a harsh storm.  But if we choose to build on anything else…it will be like sand…shifting with every wind that blows.

 

Having a great foundation allows you to grow and become a mature Christian….to stop drinking all that milk….bottle fed by what others say they have learned. He expects you to study his word…to read and discover its truths for yourself.  He expects you to build a deep relationship with him…deeper than the one you had with your parents…deeper than the most intimate relationship you have ever had with anyone else.  He wants to meet with you every day…and hear your troubles…catch your tears…comfort you.  He wants to hear you praise him and share all the joy you feel in the blessings he has allowed in your life.

 

I admit…as I do most days…that I fall so short of letting God be the consistent rock of my life.  My biggest sin…is building a house on the rock…but leaving it to the elements too many times.  When I leave it for too long...satan creeps in and weathers it greatly.I know it is always there…and I go to my house on the rock in the worst times…but venture too far away from it when things are going well.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to stay closer to the foundation you gave me to build on.  I thank you for never letting the house we built together completely crumble…and praise  you for taking care of it for me when I strayed away.  Forgive me for not staying so close to you that I saw my sin on my own. Help me to remember the words of Isaiah….so you can build my house stronger than it has ever been. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment