Sunday, July 27, 2014

God Calls Us To Listen....Not Just Hear


Isaiah 44:1-3 -  "But now, listen to me, Jacob my servant, Israel my chosen one.  The LORD who made you and helps you says: O Jacob, my servant, do not be afraid. O Israel, my chosen one, do not fear.  For I will give you abundant water to quench your thirst and to moisten your parched fields. And I will pour out my Spirit and my blessings on your children.

 

Isaiah used the beginning of this chapter to stress the  importance of listening.  Before he gives Jacob the important words he had been giving by God…he simply tells him to listen. Then he pours out on him the promise of blessing…abundant water….and the pouring out of his spirit on his children.

 

I admit that listening is not one of strengths.  Sometimes I don’t even try.  Sometimes I pretend to hear…but my mind is a million miles away thinking about something else.  Sometimes I hear the sounds…but they never divide into understandable words.  Sometimes I try really hard…even take notes….but still seem to forget what was said too quickly.

 

Isaiah doesn’t tell us how to listen better in this passage…so I did my own research. James 1:19 says… My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,”  That tells me to ponder what I hear a longer time before I react to it with words. I can use the time I am thinking about what was said to ask God to give me the right understanding…and whether at all I should say anything at all.

 

The story of Samuel in 1 Samuel 2 and 3 tells of a small boy who had been dedicated to God. He lived in the temple and heard someone calling him.  He thought it was his teacher…but after three sessions of being awoke in the night by God…his teacher finally realized who was talking to him. Once Samuel knew it was God…he simply said… “your servant is listening.”  That tells me to first be sure what you are hearing is a credible source…then give him your best attention.

 

We hear a vast amount of information evry moment of the day.  Sometimes the sounds are as simple as a bird chirp…or as ominous as a thunder clap. We can hear those as just a bird...or just the weather changing….but sometimes God uses those simple moments of nature in the world to speak a soft message to our heart.   Sometimes the sounds are voices in our head…they could be God…or they could be satan. We just need to remember to discern who is giving us direction before we act.

 

But sometimes God leads a lost soul…or a confused Christian into our lives….and like Phillip in Acts 28… we need to take the time to listen…really digest what has them confused….and take them to the scriptures to find the way to help them.  Phillip was so effective at listening…that he was able to guide him through the plan of salvation and baptize him moments later.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to work on my listening skills.  Forgive me for not taking care of this weakness before now...and help me to develop these skills to their best.  Help me learn to discern your spirit when I meet a person who needs me to listen. Bridle my tongue till I hear a clear word from you of what I need to say to lead them closer to the will you have planned for them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment