Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ask For A Double Portion


2 Kings 2:8-10 -  Now Elijah took his mantle, rolled it up, and struck the water; and it was divided this way and that, so that the two of them crossed over on dry ground.  And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?" Elisha said, "Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me."  So he said, You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so."

 

Elijah’s time on Earth was coming to an end…but his departure from the Earth was nothing ordinary.  Elisha could not stand to be parted from his teacher for one more second than necessary…so he refused to stay in the towns they traveled through to reach the spot God had chosen to take Elijah up to heaven in a chariot of fire. God’s confirmation of his last wish from his teacher came as he personally watched Elijah be carried into the sky….his life fully intact. The double portion of Elijah’s spirit he received n that moment would allow Elisha to continue the work of God with boldness and confidence.

 

It must have been a bittersweet moment to this student…for the promotion of power and status came with the loss of his beloved teacher.  He had to quickly put behind him any feelings of grief and sorrow...so he could begin the ministry God had planned for him. That may be why God allowed him to pick up Elijah’s mantle…perhaps as a symbol of the power that had just been transferred to him.

 

It is a reminder to me to ask for great gifts as Elisha did.  Perhaps I will be blessed with double portions if I have the boldness to ask for them. It is also a reminder to use the power God gives us to do his work….for Elisha wasted no time purifying the water of the first town he came too….that was thought to be the cause of miscarriage and death.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me that you can impart power to anyone you wish. So I ask this morning for you to unleash in me the power to do what you placed me on this earth to do.  Guide me to the well of dead water that you need me to heal with the simple tools you are equipping me with.  Ho me how to be a bold and confident servant like Elisha. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment