Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bloom Where You Are Planted....And Plant at Least One Seed


2 Kings 5:2-5 -  And the Syrians had gone out on raids, and had brought back captive a young girl from the land of Israel. She waited on Naaman's wife.  Then she said to her mistress, "If only my master were with the prophet who is in Samaria! For he would heal him of his leprosy."  And Naaman went in and told his master, saying, "Thus and thus said the girl who is from the land of Israel."  Then the king of Syria said, "Go now, and I will send a letter to the king of Israel." So he departed and took with him ten talents of silver, six thousand shekels of gold, and ten changes of clothing.

 

It was a time of complicated dynamics between the people of Israel and their neighbor…. the Syrians. The King of Syria would not accept that Israel was in complete control of his country…so from time to time he would send his army to raid a town…and plunder it…and bring back captives.  And so a young girl found herself…far away from home….the servant of the mistress of Naaman…the military leader of Syria’s army.

 

When the family was devastated by the news that he had leprosy…she offered the help of her God.  She told them to seek the counsel of the prophet Elisha…and ask him to use the power God had given him to heal her master. The story ended happily…with Naaman being touched by the healing words and waters of Israel’s God…deciding before he left to worship God himself.

 

I do not believe it was an accident that this young girl became a slave in Naaman’s home.  God lined up the pieces of two completely different families…so he could show his power and use it to change the lives of both. God planted her there so he could use her strong faith to plant a seed of truth and wisdom in Naaman.

 

I admire the faith and strength of this young lady….for her life could not have been easy…far away from home….no friends or family that shared her faith.  No one to talk to about the pain and loneliness she must have felt. She must have loved God very much…and believed in him with her whole heart and soul and mind…to be brave enough to share his power with her mistress. Her mistress must have believed her…because she saw the hard work of her slave girl….who did her work with her whole heart and soul and mind…even though she may not have understood why.

 

It is a lesson to me to never question where God places me at any one given time. I need to embrace the work he gives me to do no matter how menial or ugly. I might have been placed there to plant a seed in someone’s heart…..and if they do not see me working with all my heart and soul and mind…my words might not be believable to them when they are spoken.

 

Father….thank you for this simple servant girl…who modeled for me how to love you wherever I am placed.  Give me the strength to do any work you ask me to do with all my ability….and show others around me the great love you have given to me. Give me the courage to speak about you at just the right time…so that others can see your power to heal unleashed in their own lives…and begin their own relationship with you. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment