Sunday, June 23, 2013

More...Requires More Effort


2 Kings 13:17-19 - "Open the east window," he said, and he opened it. "Shoot!" Elisha said, and he shot. "The LORD's arrow of victory, the arrow of victory over Aram!" Elisha declared. "You will completely destroy the Arameans at Aphek."  Then he said, "Take the arrows," and the king took them. Elisha told him, "Strike the ground." He struck it three times and stopped.  The man of God was angry with him and said, "You should have struck the ground five or six times; then you would have defeated Aram and completely destroyed it. But now you will defeat it only three times."

 

King after king took the thrones of Israel and Judah.  They ruled the land without consulting God…or the great prophet Elisha.  Times of war allowed them to be taken into captivity…but because of the promise God made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob….they were never completely destroyed.

 

One king….Jehoash…was compelled to go see Elisha as he lay sick.  He wept over him and cried out over the armies and chariots of Israel.  So Elisha rallied in his last days to tell him to open a window…and shoot an arrow …to represent the arrow of God that would go before them in battle.

 

Then Elisha told him to take the remaining arrows and strike them on the ground.  But he was very angry at Jehoash for his half-hearted effort…and told him because he only struck the arrows three times…he would only be victorious in battle 3 times.

 

It is a lesson to me to put more effort into the things God gives me to do.  I am so like king Jehoash…working hard till I get tired or disheartened…then giving up. I need to pray for the spirit  Elisha called upon …to carry me when my human strength gives out.  I need to remember that 13th verse in Phillipians 4…for God can give me the strength to do anything…if I ask.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me to call on you when my human strength fails …and let you place in me your living water that never runs out.  Help me today to stop thinking that I can only accomplish things within the parameters of human understanding…and begin to use your eyes to see the things I could accomplish with your power inside my heart and mind and soul.  Help me to be more…because I put more effort into the work you give me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment