Monday, June 24, 2013

God Can Use Evil For Good


2 Kings 14:23-25 -  In the fifteenth year of Amaziah son of Joash king of Judah, Jeroboam son of Jehoash king of Israel became king in Samaria, and he reigned forty-one years.  He did evil in the eyes of the LORD and did not turn away from any of the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit.  He was the one who restored the boundaries of Israel from Lebo Hamath to the Sea of the Arabah, in accordance with the word of the LORD, the God of Israel, spoken through his servant Jonah son of Amittai, the prophet from Gath Hepher.

 

Many evil kings were allowed to reign on the thrones of Judah and Israel. God allowed their evil but eventually used it to discipline his people.  The evil kings were not allowed to reign forever…..but were usually captured or assassinated by another ….their subjects being held in captivity.  Then God used the hard times they endured to speak humility and restoration of his word into their lives.

 

But this evil king…Jeroboam ll…was allowed to reign for 41 years…God tolerating his worship of the golden calves he had made.  His evil was so great that many referred to it in later writings.  His evil became the benchmark for measuring evil in the world….other kings being judged as being ‘as evil as’ king Jeroboam ll.

 

Here’s the thing that caught my heart this morning….even though Jeroboam was evil….God was still in charge.  Just because God was allowing evil to have its way with the world…he knew what was going on…and was using it to accomplish something great.  For this evil king…in his tyrants and rampages against the neighboring countries…was capturing up land and restoring the boundaries lost by other kings.  God was in total control of his evil heart …and even used it to restore the boundaries of Israel.

 

It gives me great comfort to be reminded of God’s sovereign power over evil this morning.  I hesitate to turn on any news these days….so I don’t have to listen to the great evil that surrounds me. But this scripture contains the promise God made to us…that we as a people would never be completely destroyed…and his great love is always listening to our pleas for protection and help.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that you are in total control of the chaos I see and hear around me each day.  Help me to rest in your wonderful love and feel the peace that surpasses my human understanding when I am surrounded by the evil you are allowing and using to accomplish something great in my life.  Show me how to spend more time with you in prayer over the things I see that I feel are evil…and ask your help to overcome and deal with the chaos. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment