Monday, June 17, 2013

Sell Out Completely To God


2 Kings 10:26-29 - And they brought the sacred pillars out of the temple of Baal and burned them.  Then they broke down the sacred pillar of Baal, and tore down the temple of Baal and made it a refuse dump to this day.  Thus Jehu destroyed Baal from Israel.  However Jehu did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan.
 
Jehu continued to follow the harsh directions of God and destroyed all 70 sons of Ahab….his personal  priests and even the friends of the family.  Then he set off to destroy the temples of Baal…and anyone who worshiped them.  His passion to complete God’s directions and follow his commands pleased God so that he blessed the next three generations of his family with the continued possession of the throne.
 
But sadly…Jehu’s passion for God stopped with the purging of the land from the idols of Baal.  He did not turn completely away from the sins of Jeroboam…and continued to worship the golden calves at bethel and Dan. God had not captured his entire heart…just the part that God needed to destroy Ahab’s family.
 
It is plainly written more than one place in the Bible…beginning with the 10 commandments given to Moses in Exodus to Jesus’ own words recorded in Matthew 22:37… “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”  God will not settle for anything else…and he will continue to chase us until we place the passion Jesus had for his father in our own hearts.
 
This morning I will need to do some personal reflecting…and seriously consider if I have given everything to God.  Like Paul wrote in Romans 7:21…I struggle with the carnal spirit that satan tricks me with. Paul said “ So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.”  That must have been Jehu’s issue too…he wasn’t just battling Ahab’s family…but the evil satan had planted there to deceive them.
 
Father…thank you for reminding me this morning that I need to continue to reflect on a daily basis on how much I love you.  Help me to identify anything in my life that satan has tricked me into controlling…and show me how to turn that area over to you.  Show me today how to sell out to you on a deeper level…so that satan’s attacks on me will be as ineffective as they were on Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment