Friday, June 14, 2013

Do Your Feet Move?


2 Kings 7:3-5 -  Now there were four leprous men at the entrance of the gate; and they said to one another, "Why are we sitting here until we die?  If we say, 'We will enter the city,' the famine is in the city, and we shall die there. And if we sit here, we die also. Now therefore, come, let us surrender to the army of the Syrians. If they keep us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall only die."  And they rose at twilight to go to the camp of the Syrians; and when they had come to the outskirts of the Syrian camp, to their surprise no one was there.

 

There were these four lepers ….that found themselves outcasts in a great time of famine. The city could not feed itself…let alone send even crumbs from their table to these beggars. So they sat at the city gate….desperate to figure out a way to have maybe one more day of life.

 

They decided to turn themselves in to the Syrian army….maybe they would feed them and keep them alive as a slave.  So they left the gate at twilight….not knowing that God had sent the sound of a great army to scare the Syrians right out of their own camp.  They left everything they had brought with them…food…silver…clothes…right there in their tents.

 

The lepers wasted no time filling their stomachs….and plundering what they could carry and hide. But then they remembered the city gate they used to sit at…and the people inside that were starving just like them. So they returned with their good news…and after the king checked out their story…to make sure it was not a trick….Elisha’s prophesy that barley and flour would be sold very cheaply in the next 24 hours came true.

 

My spirit immediately began to think of all the times I sit and do nothing…fearful. My fear might be brought about by ignorance…or doubt…or selfishness. It could be simple laziness or even the heaviness of some situation beyond my control…but that fear keeps my feet still….only allowing my mind to continue to over analyze the situation.  It is those moments when I let my feet carry me to the place of my fear…that I find the rich blessing God has prepared for me.

 

Oh how I need to remember this story…of those 4 desperate men…who decided to stop sitting at the city gate…just waiting to die…and move into the fear…..so I can receive more of God’s blessings for my life.  And then I need to share the blessings with others around me….for their actions did not just save themselves…but the decision to return to the city…and share the good news…saved a whole city that day.

 

It was the disciple James who wrote later that our faith must always be accompanied by the action of our feet.  His words in James 2:20…. “But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?” ….were spoken because he saw Jesus model them for him daily.  Jesus constantly moved his feet toward his mission in life….and the many people he healed along the way to his death on that cross…show us what true humility looks like in action.

 

Father…I thank you for reminding me that my faith in you requires action.  Help me to hear your words of direction so my feet are always moving toward the purpose you have for my life. Help me to conquer the fear that satan places in my heart….so my feet do not stay in one place…but rather move quickly to do your work.  And God…help me to remember that the blessings you shower down on me are not mine alone…but are meant to be shared with others.  Give my eyes clear visions of where I am to go…and who I am to minister to with all that you have given me to share. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment