Wednesday, June 26, 2013

God Is Not Just A Good Luck Charm


2 Kings 17:7-9  - All this took place because the Israelites had sinned against the LORD their God, who had brought them up out of Egypt from under the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. They worshiped other gods and followed the practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before them, as well as the practices that the kings of Israel had introduced.  The Israelites secretly did things against the LORD their God that were not right. From watchtower to fortified city they built themselves high places in all their towns.

 

Israel finally crumbled completely…God couldn’t stand their evil practices anymore….so he handed them over to Assyria to do as they pleased. It’s not like he hadn’t warned them with many prophets…or been super patient….what would happen if they did not follow Gods laws was even written down in Deuteronomy 28.  It describes the horrible conditions that would overtake them …if they failed to follow all the laws of God.

 

The king of Assyria scattered the Israelites and moved in other cultures among them.  They saw the power that God had to destroy them too…so they began to worship him ….but held to their other gods too. God was seen as a sort of good luck charm…not the one God who could bless and turn this bad situation into something good.

 

I’m going to just go ahead and say it…the world I live in today…resembles this scene quite strongly.  Evil has had its hand on America for some time now….Christians are scattered among other cultures that know who God is…and how powerful he is…but they have never accepted him fully. God has become a good luck charm to many…but he hasn’t captured their entire soul.  They go to church out of habit…or family tradition…they pray when they need something from God…or maybe offer up a petition for family and friends before their eyes close at night. We strive more to be politically correct…than to preach the pure word of the Bible.

 

I am guilty too…I am stepping on my own toes here as I write this morning. For I described my own weak prayer routine that I have known for some time is way too little effort for a God that gave everything to save me.  But I feel a new hope…for I set the alarm on my phone to pray for someone this morning.  They ask for a special prayer…at a special time…so I found myself pulling out the journal…and writing this one down.  May he give me strength and passion to move out of my routines more often….and bless others with the power of his love through prayer.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me that your blessings are always there if I choose to follow your ways.  Help me this morning to recommit my promise to you…to follow all your commands…so that your blessings will begin to flow through my life and change the hearts of those around me that see you as a mere good luck charm. Help me to see your power manifested in others because I take the time to really pray for them….and intercede on their behalf.  I pray this morning not just for me…but for everyone who sees you as just a good luck charm.  Give them a burden to know you in a deeper way…a passion to follow your commands in their purest form…so the world we live in can be a blessed nation once more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment