Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Can You Hear God's Whisper?


1 Kings 19:11-14 -  The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

 

Elijah…scared …. frustrated …. Emotionally tired…ran from Jezebel.  The man who had just brought down 850 prophets of Baal and Asherah…. was afraid of one woman….Jezebel.  He was so afraid…and tired….and frustrated…that he ran a day’s journey…collapsed beneath a tree and prayed to die. As his eyes shut to a sleep… he thought that he was the only one left that loved and followed God.

 

Thank goodness God did not grant his request….he just comforted and cared for Elijah.  He sent an angel…to wake him and have him eat…a hot cake baked on coals…and a jar of water …two times. Then God allowed him to travel another forty days to mount Horeb…the very mountain that Moses was allowed to speak with God…and watch him write the 10 commandments.

 

As he slept in a cave that night…God appeared to him and asked him what he was doing…  he told him to go outside the cave and prepare to see God. God was not in the mightiness of the wind….or the strength of the Earthquake … or even the brilliance of the fire …  God was in a simple whisper.  God told Elijah in a soft voice he needed to go back the way he came….and finish the work he put him on the Earth to do.  And made sure Elijah was corrected in his assumption that he was the only one who still believed in him.  God knew the names of 7,000 men who had not bowed down to Baal or kissed his statues.

 

I love the image of God that this scripture paints for me.  A loving…nurturing…caring God…who allowed Elijah his pity party….then fed him…and let him rest.  Elijah’s forty day trip to Mount Horeb …. was probably spent in fasting and prayer as he walked to the mountain of God.  Elijah knew he could find God there…as Moses had years earlier….so he searched him out …to answer his questions of frustration and fear.

 

God was not the loud voice of the wind…or the destruction and strength of an earthquake…..or even the bright brilliance of a fire.   God was a simple whispered voice…so quiet that Elijah had to really listen to hear it…and know God’s plans for the next season of his life.  God told him to go back the way he came…  like he told Moses….and Jonah….and Paul.  He told him to go back and finish the job he had given him to do…and let God worry about the details of that mean queen Jezebel.  He told him to go back and anoint two kings….that would take care of any other problems…then anoint the next prophet of God….Elisha. It has me thinking this morning… what have I possibly run away from…before I finished a job God gave me to do there. I guess I had better be listening for a still quiet voice… a whisper in the night…to tell me what to do… and prepare myself to go back where he tells me to go.

 

Father…I am amazed at your love more and more every day.  I thank you for this story that tells me that your love is simple and complete….requiring us to finish what we start for you.  Help me listen for your still small voice…and know that you have empowered me with all that I need to do the work you sent me to do.  Help me to face my task with the boldness of the wind …the strength of the earthquake…..and the light of your fire in my soul.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment