Tuesday, July 3, 2012

24/7 Worship


Revelation 4:2-3 and 8-11 - At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.  And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian. A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne……  Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY IS THE Lord GOD ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS, AND IS, AND IS TO COME."Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:  "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."



I may not understand all the symbolism of this chapter…seven lamps that were actually spirits of God…24 elders complete with their own thrones…4 creatures with numerous eyes and 6 wings each…but I do understand that God was on that throne….and I sure feel the passion with which these creatures of Heaven were worshiping the Lord who created them. I am not sure how John kept his composure as he watched… but somehow…with the help of the spirit…he was not  overwhelmed by the constant shouts of praise ….and able to find human words to describe this scene of 24/7 worship to the Lord.



If I am to join this band of worshipers someday…no…when I join this band of worshipers someday…I want to have the same passion they have.  And really…why do I need to wait…let me drink in this concept of worship and redefine how I praise and worship God today….for if I am honest with myself….the worship I offer the Lord…one day a week…is nothing compared to the picture John paints of Heaven. I think I have some work to do!  I am pretty sure that most Sundays…my preoccupation with what to wear…what songs the choir will sing….whether it is my turn to work children’s church…and whether I remembered to turn off the coffee pot….oh…and lets not forget the cell phone in my pocket….some of those messages might be important…these things distract me from the pure praise and adoration that God truly deserves.  And that doesn’t even begin to explain how I think one hour a week is going to satisfy my Lord’s need to hear me praise who he is and what he has done or me.



That must be why I am driven from deep inside to be in a church as much as possible.  I especially cherish  those times like Thursday’s  Celebrate Recovery meetings…or Monday morning prayer times with the intercessory prayer group…or Wednesday night fellowship and bible study…or the Small group bible study meetings we have some Fridays. These are the times I come closest to John’s description of worship.  When I come together with other Christians…and sing songs of praise and comfort…when we pray as a group of believers for the needs of others. And even if I add up the hours for these special meetings …my 14 hours of individual bible study and prayer each week…and add in an hour for the occasional random prayer for a friend… I am still missing  148 hours for the week…shew…how does God even begin to know how much I love him if I only give him 20 hours out of a period of 168!



Father …teach me how really worship you…everywhere I go..in everything I do…24/7. Let me see you on that glorious throne and thank you for all you have done for me. Help me to really understand all your glory and begin to cry out Holy ..Holy.. Holy…to recognize that you made all things and in you all things are controlled. …and give you honor and praise for all that you do. Forgive me father for giving you so little of my time. Show me ways to increase my time with you…to let go of the world that distracts me and enter into your presence everywhere you  lead me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment