Monday, July 9, 2012

The God of Silence


Revelation 10:4-7 -   And when the seven thunders spoke, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven say, "Seal up what the seven thunders have said and do not write it down."  Then the angel I had seen standing on the sea and on the land raised his right hand to heaven.  And he swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it, and said, "There will be no more delay!  But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets." 

John must have been one self-controlled disciple…to have heard the 7 thunders speak…and hold those words in his heart…and never share them…that is truly a task worth praising.  John was given the words that will end Satan’s reign on the Earth…only John was given this great wisdom…and the memory of it died with him because of his obedience. Like Daniel…who was told to seal up what he was privileged to see and hear in Daniel 8:26; 12:4, and 9…”But thou, O Daniel, shut up the Words, and seal the Book, even to the time of the end: ….many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.  ….And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the Words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end”

It is okay with me if God keeps some things a secret….for there are just some things our human ears and eyes can’t understand or comprehend till it is time for God to reveal it.  For in our humanness we wallow in worries….we drown in our what if’s….we are weakened by thoughts of what will happen …when we know the future …and it holds darkness.  And it is really no different when we are handed blessings…we drift off into ourselves and dream of what we will do when those blessings roll in.

I have many prayers and situations that I pray for God to move in….but I find myself waiting…God’s lips and directions sealed from me until it is time for me to know. My friend and Sunday School teacher reminded me of this just yesterday…God’s timing is perfect….and we must learn to be obedient and wait…till he has accomplished every piece of the puzzle that he is welding together to bring our lives to full joy and completeness. I will admit…that it is hard…to wait. I stand like a spoiled child before God most days…crying out to him to answer my needs…to reveal himself to me…cause I think it is too hard.  But thank God he is patient with me…and like the best father...he just keeps silent….until he knows I am ready.

God knew the world could not handle the words of the 7 thunders…so their words heard by John are forever sealed.  But we can rest assured in the fact that he will come again soon…in all his glory and we will hear those words with our own ears… “There will be no more delay!”….we will rise from our graves to be reunited with Christ…or we will see him coming down from the clouds with our own Earthly eyes and be transformed into a new creature…able to comprehend and understand all that will happen in those last days. We will eat the sweet scroll ourselves…and taste the bitterness of death…injustice…famine…war…hunger…sickness…depression…drug or alcohol addiction…abuse…poverty…and all the other fears and worries that keep us connected to the world…for the very last time.

Father…help me…for you know how hard it is for me to wait on you.  I long to hear your voice … for you to give me clear directions in the events of even the next few days.  Help me to rest and be confident that even in your silence…you are welding a perfect plan that I will understand when you decide I am ready.  Help me fight off the tricks of Satan..that try to convince me that your silence means you have gone…..for I know that you are with me no matter what! Teach me Lord how to be obedient like John…and Daniel…and all the other prophets that you have sent to speak your words in your time. Help me hide the words of this great book in my heart so deeply that Satan cannot reach them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment