Sunday, July 1, 2012

Our First Love


Revelation 2:1-5 -  "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands:  I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.  You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.  Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love.  Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.”

I wonder when John was given these words of prophecy for the church at Ephesus….if he had actually met any of them. They sound like really nice…loving people…that loved to help people.  They had no tolerance for those that allowed wickedness to creep in to their midst. They recognized false teachers for what they were….and quickly told them so. They must have been through some tough stuff…cause John says that they had persevered….and had come to rely on God for their strength. Sounds like many of the churches I have been able to share Christ’s love with.  Full of great love for people…ready to stand strong no matter what comes.

Yet God was displeased with one thing….and if it was not corrected…John’s message is clear…their lampstand would be removed. Having a heart for God….even walking in his commandments to love and persevere are not enough…we must love God with our whole heart…with the emotion and pureness of that first moment we learned of his love and brought his spirit into our soul to live.  We must keep that intense fire of God within us at all times…so that we can hear his words…know his will for our lives…use his strength when our strength is tested by the evil in the world. 

I have to confess again…I knew exactly what John meant…I lost my first love once….I lived a fake life of Christian service for many years. And because I was not emotionally connected to the center lampstand….Christ himself….the evil one convinced me I did not have to go to church anymore…I did not need to pray daily…or even read my bible anymore.  I was still a nice person…very selfish….always thinking of myself first…but I did enough kind acts to trick myself into thinking I was covered by that golden rule…which Jesus spoke himself…and Matthew recorded for us in Matthew 7:12. I was a walking church of Ephesus…kindness on the outside…selfish pride on the inside....no real connection to God in my heart.

I am going to even more honest with you and say that I still struggle…every day…to keep that flame burning as brightly as it did that day I was 14. It is a daily routine of study and prayer…without allowing the world to interfere…that is allowing me to build a relationship with God….a connection that Satan can never sever.  It is my first love…the pure elation of recognizing God for the first time…the personal connection of his spirit that lives in me…that will help me see where to go next…to always move forward from the trails and hardships that Satan uses to try and trick me into letting go of his hand again. Like that great song…many people have covered….You Never Let Go!.... couldn’t help but add the link to Matt Redmond’s cover….sorry about the Buick Commercial…lol!     http://youtu.be/A9Ya7ryNob4  

Father…hold my hand all the tighter today to remind me that must never let go of my first love.  Wash my soul with the same pure joy I felt that day I was 14….let it remind me of who and what I gave my life to.  Help me to always remember that this life is not mine…it is yours…and I must use your love to help me know what I must do for you today. Thank you Jesus for walking behind me and chasing me till I felt your presence once again..and for giving me the strength to begin to walk beside you again.  Don’t ever let me let go again! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment