Sunday, July 22, 2012

And God said...let there be light!


Genesis 1:1-5 -  In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day. RSV

It all began with God…his spirit hovering over a mass of nothingness…it was dark … there was water…..but in the beginning Earth was just a massive ball of water and darkness.  My living bible used the word brooding…like a bird would do on a nest of eggs. I picture God trying to decide if it was worth it…to create man and a place for him to survive…cause God could see the ending…God knew in his heart that man would mess up. It is amazing to me that God decided to create the world…knowing exactly what man would do ….and just what it would take to save him from his selfishness.

It is really cool that God created the light first. He chose in a single moment to create the world and all that was in it….but first….he spoke light into existence…and for the first time darkness was chased away from his presence. The light would make the plants grow…the plants would feed the animals….and the animals would help man work the garden intended to sustain life for Adam and Eve. His plan really was excellent in every way…a simple chain or order and beauty that was perfect in every way.

That light…that we see when we open our eyes in the morning….is really the sun reflecting the glory of the God who made it. He sits on his throne and broods over us still….watching us cast shadows on all that he made. A sweet Sunday school teacher told me Friday night that I need to be more aware of that shadow.  He told the story of Peter…in Acts 5…and how people would line up in the street to be touched by the shadow of his body as he passed by them in the street. His shadow cast the pure love and healing power of the father…and we need to cast that that kind of love and power too.

Father…I am amazed by the world you created…so simple…yet so complex. I thank you for allowing me to be one of your creations…to have walked on your Earth… and experienced the light…and the plants  and the birds…and the other animals. Thank you for making me and saving me from my own destruction and sin by sending your son to earth and dying in my place. Help me father this morning to allow more of your light into my life.  Make your light overflow from my soul and cast a shadow of kindness and goodness and mercy to others like your son Jesus did. Make my shadow strong…like Peter’s…and let it chase darkness away from the goodness you want me to provide to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment