Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Final Choice


Revelation 9:18-19 A third of mankind was killed by the three plagues of fire, smoke and sulfur that came out of their mouths.  The power of the horses was in their mouths and in their tails; for their tails were like snakes, having heads with which they inflict injury.  The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood--idols that cannot see or hear or walk.  Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.

The Earth will open up and release locusts…not your ordinary locust that feeds on plants.  These locusts will have a stinger like a scorpion…not deadly…but very painful.   They will be released to sting man….and cause so much torment that men will beg to die…but no death will come for 5 months….until the 6th angel blows his trumpet. That signal will release a great army of 200 million as the four angels that were being held prisoner at the Euphrates river are freed…to kill 1/3 of all mankind.  The plagues that God allows to destroy the Earth….will cause much suffering for those with no relationship with him.

In the last two chapters of Revelation…the earth has been transformed from what we know it today…to a desolate killing arena that will surely be more horrible than anything any man has ever suffered…or could ever dream of suffering. I want to imagine how painful it was for God to reveal these scenes to John …so he could record for us this time of suffering that includes strange creatures…fire…and vapors that take your breath away.  I want to imagine that it made God sad that so many would die…but maybe the final judgment of the world is not a sad time for God….it is simply closure….a cut off of time for man to choose God…or choose the world.

The thing I found most amazing…is how many will suffer through this time and still not believe!  I know that people can be stubborn…but how can anyone walk amid the scenes that John records in words for us …and not believe in the one God that can seal them to be protected? I read those words more than once…my eyes just could not drink in the fact that despite all attempts to save everyone on the Earth…to allow a way for all people to join Christ in Heaven…some will choose to never believe.  Some will cling to themselves….and worship demons…and idols. Some will remain so trapped in themselves that murder…and theft will be normal ways of life.  Some will cling to Satan and practice ineffective magic spells or try to console their pain with immoral acts of the flesh. And God already knew who it would be!

God…I am so much more grateful to you after reading this passage in Revelation….that you softened my heart…and have allowed me to see how much you love me. I thank you most of all for sending witnesses to me to help me choose you over the world. And I thank you for all the lessons you have sent my way to help me learn to release the ways of the world and begin to trust you completely for all that I need. Help me to continue to examine my life for ways I have allowed the world to trick me into following its ways instead of yours. Help me to continue to seek you and share my testimony with the ones who can be saved.  Send me oh Lord to spread the news about how horrible those last days will be…and how important it is that everyone believe in the one who can seal us and help us to endure…no matter what happens. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment