Sunday, July 29, 2012

Waiting on God


Genesis 8:1-4 and 15-16-  But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the cattle that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided;  the fountains of the deep and the windows of the heavens were closed, the rain from the heavens was restrained,  and the waters receded from the earth continually. At the end of a hundred and fifty days the waters had abated;  and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest upon the mountains of Ararat. ….. Then God said to Noah,  "Go forth from the ark, you and your wife, and your sons and your sons' wives with you. 

God’s time…it it always perfect.  It comes exactly when we need it…and he brings in that moment exactly what we need. Even as I am reading this again this morning…even after writing it down as a note last night when I read it …I am having trouble processing the truth of this statement.  My human brain just doesn’t process time like God does…my human brain doesn’t see the big picture that he is weaving together for me. My human brain wants to see …hear…taste…smell…see…see….see…..it wants to know just where it is going …how it will get there…and how long it will take. 

Noah must have understood how important waiting on God was.  He worked 120 years to build a boat…stayed in it over a year as God destroyed the Earth….and then waited to hear God tell him it was time for him to leave the safe haven of the ark.  And as soon as he left that ark…he went straight to the task of thanking God.  He built an altar and gave praises to the one who saw his love for God…and rewarded him with more life….who had spared even his family…who had given an amazing personal encounter with every creature God had created. Noah stopped to thank God for all he had done…and worship him for just being God…I guess that is the reason God saw Noah as a righteous person…Noah realized that God was in control…and was obedient to him in all that he did…no matter what the task…no matter how long it took to complete it.

Forgive me father for needing so many reminders that you are in control of my life…and that everything that has happened to me is part of a big plan that you are weaving.  Help me be more like Noah…finding my strength to wait from you…asking no questions…just doing what you give me to do…and doing it as long as you ask me to do it…not matter how hard..no matter how much pain and sorrow it brings to my heart.  Give me a heart that wants to build you an altar…and stop and give thanks for all that has happened in my life…and learn to wait on you…as you send the winds to calm my storms …as you work around the messes I made when I ran ahead of you.  Help me find joy in everything….help me to look for you and find the peace that will guide me to the end of this journey you have mapped out for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment