Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Called of God


Exodus 31:1-6 - The LORD said to Moses, "See, I have called by name Bez'alel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship,  to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver, and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, for work in every craft.  And behold, I have appointed with him Oho'liab, the son of Ahis'amach, of the tribe of Dan; and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you: 

The Lord called two men to read his blueprints and build all the ornate things that were required to worship the Lord. He didn’t just appoint them…he filled them with the ‘Spirit of God’…so they would  have all that they needed to interpret and craft the tabernacle and al its contents. God gave them intelligence…knowledge…and all the abilities they would need to complete the blueprint that he had given Moses for the place where he would live.

Just ordinary people before God called them…I think not! Genesis 1:27 says that God made each of us in his own image…so why are we so surprised that we have been made with intelligence and creativity. Maybe I am the only one who sells herself short of what God is able to do through me…but I don’t think that is the case either…for one of the tasks God gave me allows me to work in a classroom of middle school children every day. I watch hundred’s of kids sell themselves short every day. I guess I am just one of those middle schoolers who never outgrew the self-esteem issues we allow Satan to bind us with when we are young.

This passage tells me to let go of that crazy notion that I am limited by my human weaknesses…and allow God to fill me up with his confidence and power. I have been created with ‘ability and intelligence’…just like Bezalel and Oholiab….and God can equip me with the same ‘Spirit of God’ he did them…to follow whatever blueprint he created me for in the first place. My models are not just these two that were called in this moment to craft the tabernacle…I need to remember the great ones before them.  Consider what God did with Adam….who named every other creature God made…or Noah…who built an amazing boat….or Moses’ mother…who built a simple basket and floated it in the reeds….and made a way for God to fill him with his spirit and become the greatest leader ever known.

Father…help me to let go of the past failures that tell me I am nothing and keep me from being used of you for any good…and help me to grasp the spirit you desire to fill me with…to empower me to do the work you have called me to do. Take what you created in me…and empower my mind and soul and heart with your Holy Spirit to see the vision you have for me…to know in my heart that I am following the blueprint you gave me when I was born….to craft exactly what you placed me on Earth to accomplish for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment