Sunday, October 7, 2012

Holy to God


Exodus 28:1-4 and 36-37 -  "Then bring near to you Aaron your brother, and his sons with him, from among the people of Israel, to serve me as priests--Aaron and Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abi'hu, Elea'zar and Ith'amar. And you shall make holy garments for Aaron your brother, for glory and for beauty.  And you shall speak to all who have ability, whom I have endowed with an able mind, that they make Aaron's garments to consecrate him for my priesthood. These are the garments which they shall make: a breastpiece, an ephod, a robe, a coat of checker work, a turban, and a girdle; they shall make holy garments for Aaron your brother and his sons to serve me as priests.
…."And you shall make a plate of pure gold, and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet, 'Holy to the LORD.'  And you shall fasten it on the turban by a lace of blue; it shall be on the front of the turban.”…reminded Moses that the High Priest of Israel was consecrated…sanctified…anointed for service.

God called to Moses …to give him instructions for calling and dressing the chosen High Priest. Aaron would be the one person that entered the Holy of Holies once a year….Aaron would be the one that taught his sons how to communicate with the Lord…how to use the urim and thummin to discern judgment for the many people that God would send to them for help. The garment had a special purpose…it set him apart for God’s service….providing for him a garment worthy of the meetings he would have with the Lord. Upon his head he was to wear a gold band…engraved with the words…. “Holy to God”

The Lord was teaching his people how to worship him.  He was showing his chosen priests how to bring all the people to the Lord to help them thank God for his blessings…or ask his forgiveness for their sins. God gave Moses instructions for an intricate outfit….worthy of many meetings with the Lord. Each piece had a purpose in the priest’s job of ministering the sacrifices….judging the people…or speaking with God for directions.

We are our own priests now…for when that veil tore in the Holy of Holies…God opened up a way for me to communicate with him without going through a priest. When I gave my life to Jesus that night I was fourteen…he sanctified me and consecrated me for his service. He dressed me in everything I would need to be his servant. He gave me everything I needed to do the job he placed me on the Earth for…and all I have to do is discover them and activate the talents he hid in me to do his will.

But I wondered as I read this chapter just how holy I am now…for I know that some of the things he dressed me in that night have never been discovered by my heart and soul. They lay dormant…not being used.  Maybe because some other piece of my outfit is not ready for me yet…maybe because I made some wrong choices….I sure did not use his urim and thummin to discern what was best for me.  I used my selfish human flesh to make most of my decisions. But the great news is that they are still there…just waiting on me to turn every part of my life over to Christ…so he can begin to reveal those things to me…and show me how to use them to glorify him…and teach others about his love…amazing!

Father…you amaze me with your unfailing love.  My heart soars with joy knowing that you love me in spite of my many mistakes and the side roads that Satan has tricked me into taking.  Help me to discover the talents you hid in me the day I was born…the ones you placed there to serve you. Help me to discern your will for me…and begin to use them to help  you spread the good news of your love for all.   Dress me anew in the robes that consecrate me for your service…place a new headband on my forehead that says…..”Holy to God”….and give me the strength to do the task you placed me here to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment