Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Old Rules...Hidden Meanings


Leviticus 12:6-8-When the days of her purification are completed, whether for a son or for a daughter, she shall bring to the priest at the entrance of the tent of meeting a lamb in its first year for a burnt offering, and a pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering. He shall offer it before the Lord, and make atonement on her behalf; then she shall be clean from her flow of blood. This is the law for her who bears a child, male or female.  If she cannot afford a sheep, she shall take two turtledoves or two pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement on her behalf, and she shall be clean.

 

Moses was told once again to speak to the people.  This time it was to give them some very specific rules concerning the blood that was present in a woman’s childbirth.  The passing of the bodily fluid made their bodies ‘unclean’…it defiles them. It kept them from entering the tabernacle. They had to be separated from the others in the camp…and wait many days…then offer a sacrifice to seal the ritual purification form all that blood.

 

I admit…it’s another one of those chapters I have few notes on…and I have to wonder just what lesson I am supposed to get out of this…and the unexplained reasons for why a female child required more time don’t help me make any sense out of this chapter for today. And none of the commentaries really helped me understand it at all. So I sit …just waiting for God to give me something….surely this chapter has some relevance for me today.

 

As I sit here and think…maybe these rules were just another obedience thing…or a message from God that when your body bled it was serious business. Since God asked them to shed so much blood from animals in sacrifices…he wanted them to make a distinction in this way he had ordained to multiply the people on his Earth…help them understand that the blood their body produced as they pushed the life God created inside them…was part of the punishment of Eve…not the holy blood of a perfect animal…chosen…and given to God.

 

Maybe it was just to give some of the stories in the New testament more credibility. I am thinking now of the faith packed story of the women who was impure from her blood issue for 12 years. It must have been a special story for we find it in three of the gospels….Matthew 9:20-22… Mark 5:25-34…and Luke 8:43-47.  What faith it took to break Jewish law…and reach out to Jesus that day. What greater glory he was able to show the people because of her long wait…and impure state.

 

I also think of sweet Simon and Anna …who stood day after day waiting on God to show them the Messiah.  Mary came that day to dedicate him…to offer her sacrifice after his birth…and because of the faithfulness of Mary and Joseph to this scripture…God was able to keep his promise to both Anna and Simon (Luke 2:21-28). What joy must have filled them as they beheld the promised child after all that waiting.

 

I guess that goes to show me that sometimes the meaning of a scripture is not always what we read literally.  The laws and rules God established in those old testament days still have meaning for us today. We just have to keep waiting and praying for his guidance…keep searching our hearts for what he wants us to.  We have to cling to the promises of his law…and have faith that he has a plan for us…to prosper us…and bless us…and give us hope…no matter what we have defiled ourselves with.

 

Father…once again I sit in tears…realizing that you have shown up this morning to teach me a powerful lesson in waiting.  You know my heart...and how it longs to have concrete answers…signs that I am on the right path.  But in my human weakness…I falter so many times…because I have trouble waiting on you.  Forgive me…and help me to find that perfect path once again…the one you want me on…not the one I think I should be. I thank you that you have made a way for me to purify myself from my sins….help me to offer my offering to you…so you can be pleased…and we can be connected in an even closer way than I have known before. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment