Saturday, October 13, 2012

No Compromises


Exodus 34:11-17 - "Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I will drive out before you the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Per'izzites, the Hivites, and the Jeb'usites.  Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither you go, lest it become a snare in the midst of you.  You shall tear down their altars, and break their pillars, and cut down their Ashe'rim (for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God), lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and when they play the harlot after their gods and sacrifice to their gods and one invites you, you eat of his sacrifice, and you take of their daughters for your sons, and their daughters play the harlot after their gods and make your sons play the harlot after their gods."You shall make for yourself no molten gods. 

God was sure to warn Moses…to tell the people that they were not allowed to even be around people who worshiped other Gods. They must become a pure…holy nation… bound to worship just Jehovah. God promised to go before them…and drive out all of the nations that inhabited the land he was giving them.  God told him plain and simple that they could not be mixed with others who did not follow his commands….for they were new believers…and weak…and could be swayed to worship other gods too easily.

A good lesson for all of us…but so frustrating to take at face value. Does God really mean these same directions for all of us who have chosen to believe in him. We live in a world where we are exposed to people who do not believe as we do… are we not called to go to them and preach the gospel…to witness and lead them to believe in Christ? Of course we are…so how do we maintain our purity with God…and worship only him these days…in a world where we are exposed to sin after sin…how to we follow the rule of no compromise these days?

There is a fine line between lovingly pointing out a command of Jesus form the Bible….and hypocritically berated them with their sin. I think of several scriptures that help us with hard task we have been commissioned with. 2 Corinthians 6:1 says, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness” …and I do not believe that God is talking just about marriage partners here! We need to choose who we run with very carefully! And then there is the whole passage in Romans 14: 1-23…but the key is in verse 5… “One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.” God is talking about confidence here!

Confidence comes from study…from prayer…from fasting!  Confidence means we can be that person that walks up to someone involved in a gay relationship and lovingly tell them that God can change the desire of the human flesh…he hates the immoral act…but loves the person.  Confidence means I can tell my close friend who drinks too much…I don’t want to go to the bar with them to meet guys…that I drank once for the wrong reasons…and I need to stay out of that environment…so I am not tempted to drink again.  And besides that…single is not a bad thing…I do not need to date…or meet men…just because I am single again. Confidence means we have so much of God and his word in our hearts that he gives us the loving verses and thoughts we need…at just the right time…to help the friends we know understand who our God is…and why we have made the choice we have to follow him…no matter what!

Father…I sit here this morning with a thankful heart that you created me with a loving nature. Help me to continue to learn about you by reading your word and praying. Help me to increase my passion to know your will by fasting and seeking you on my knees in prayer. Show me the path you have set out for me…to prosper me…and bless me…so I can be the confident servant you need to tell the world about your love. Embed your word that I read each night into my heart and soul…so when I need you to help me witness to one who has been tricked by Satan…I know just what to say! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment