Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Love all the Same!


Exodus 23:1-5 - "You shall not utter a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man, to be a malicious witness.  You shall not follow a multitude to do evil; nor shall you bear witness in a suit, turning aside after a multitude, so as to pervert justice;  nor shall you be partial to a poor man in his suit."If you meet your enemy's ox or his ass going astray, you shall bring it back to him.  If you see the ass of one who hates you lying under its burden, you shall refrain from leaving him with it, you shall help him to lift it up. 

The ninth commandment must have needed some extra explaining.  Moses gets really detailed with just what this ‘false witness’ thing was…and then he explains why we have all those other commandments …that this love God more than you love anything else should trickle down into everything else we do. He wanted us to understand who our neighbor is …basically…. everyone we know…not just the people we like and hang out with.

 God gave Moses these rules to make sure that we keep our mouth shut when we don’t know what we are talking about….to make sure what we say is not a lie….to make sure that we consider our friends motives before we join in their activities….and to treat all people the same…even the ones that we have a hard time loving. We should all be ‘good Samaritans’ ….people that spread God’s love to all people in need….no matter what he calls us to do.

Easier said than done…of course! And as I write this I am sure that God is up there in Heaven…or looking over my shoulder…lining up all the people I have a hard time with …to meet up with me sometime today. He knows that I will need some practice on this one to get it right. I can say that I love everyone…and will treat them all the same….but do my actions truly show that to everyone? I am woman enough to admit that I don’t always get this one right…and I don’t always trust God’s covering when he asks me to do something that seems a little less safe.

It is easy to hand some beggar a ten dollar bill out the window….put my left over yard sale stuff in the bin at the good will store….write a kind word into a post on facebook every morning.  But how will I treat that next person that God puts right in front of my face…that might not be my best friend…that might be someone I had a hard time with before….someone that did something even hurtful to me. I will sure need to stop and ask him to fill me with his words….and show me what to do. I hope I don’t lie ….and make an excuse….to sideswipe the situation. I hope I don’t pass by on the other side…as I have done in the past.

Oh father…I need your help to love others more. Help me to keep hurtful…judging words from ever leaving my brain.  Help me to think only kind things….loving words that will build up others to know your great love. Help me to always speak the truth in love. Father…I ask you to strength me and give me discernment in all the things I am asked to participate in.  Guide me to do only the things that you have ordained as good and worthy of your love. Help me to pick friends that will help me spend my time doing wholesome things that speak of your love.  Help me to trust you more…and stop and ask you for help when I meet up with something I don’t trust….or with someone who has hurt me.  Help me to be filled with your love and mercy and great forgiveness….and use your strength to bring about healing. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment