Friday, October 12, 2012

Is God my Best Friend?


Exodus 33:13-17 -  Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found favor in thy sight, show me now thy ways, that I may know thee and find favor in thy sight. Consider too that this nation is thy people." And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."  And he said to him, "If thy presence will not go with me, do not carry us up from here.  For how shall it be known that I have found favor in thy sight, I and thy people? Is it not in thy going with us, so that we are distinct, I and thy people, from all other people that are upon the face of the earth?"  And the LORD said to Moses, "This very thing that you have spoken I will do; for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name." 

Moses had to be tired by now…he had spent many days on the holy mountain of God….just watched the sad destruction of thousands of people who refused to love and follow the God that had brought them to this season of instruction on their lives.  Moses had to be more than frustrated and confused with the orders God had given him to lead the people out of Egypt months ago.  And so he found himself in the tabernacle…searching for direction…praying to God to tell him the next steps to take in the task he was commissioned to do. God heard him…and descended on that tabernacle like a ‘pillar of cloud’  ….and just like on the mountain…they spoke face to face.

Moses had more than a casual relationship with God. His time on that mountain… watching God…listening to him…waiting on him…had taught him the value of a real relationship. Moses realized that God was more than just a deity to worship….God had become his best friend.  A person to talk to when he needed support and direction…a person to trust with his deepest desires and needs…a person that shared a common goal….to make God the center of everything he did…so he could complete the job he gave him to do.

Most of us have an earthly friend …one we hang out with…depend on…trust…talk to about everything.  We wouldn’t let anything or anyone drive a wedge between us ….we guard their love and respect them like no other in our lives.  Some of us are even lucky enough to have more than one of these true friends. We laugh together…cry together…watch movies… eat dinners….talk and text each other all day.

Made me wonder if I have built that same kind of friendship with God. Can I truly call him my best friend if I limit my time with him to a few minutes in the morning… a 20 minute reading of his word every day…a couple of church services on Sunday…a mid week bible study on Wednesday…a Celebrate Recovery meeting on Thursday…and a monthly bible study with my small group?  Sounds like a lot as I list it on paper….but my heart knows that it barely meets my needs.  My heart keeps thinking about how many times I have hit the snooze button in the last week…and that I spent more time reading Nick Sparks than God this week. My heart knows how I hurried to say I had been obedient to read my chapter…so I could finish my other book.  My heart remembers the thoughts I had that maybe my ESL student would not come Wednesday night…so I could go home early.  My head is reeling with all the other selfish thoughts I have had this week….instead of spending time on my knees….begging for God to show me his glory…instead of begging him to reveal his clear direction to me for the next few days of the life he might grant past this moment.

Oh father..once again you show up just when I need you…and reveal to me that selfish nature is trying to creep up in my heart and dominate my thoughts and actions.  Help me to be strong…do not let Satan drive a wedge between us…instead…show me enough of your glory to make me strong…to wash away more of my selfishness …and replace it with the thoughts you would have me have.  Give me clear directions this morning…and equip me with all that I need to keep my thoughts about you all day.  Show me how to run to you…and sit at your feet…so you can teach me how to be who you need me to be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment