Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Remorse leads to True Repentance


Leviticus 5: 14-17 - The LORD said to Moses:  "When a person commits a violation and sins unintentionally in regard to any of the LORD's holy things, he is to bring to the LORD as a penalty a ram from the flock, one without defect and of the proper value in silver, according to the sanctuary shekel. It is a guilt offering. He must make restitution for what he has failed to do in regard to the holy things, add a fifth of the value to that and give it all to the priest, who will make atonement for him with the ram as a guilt offering, and he will be forgiven. "If a person sins and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD's commands, even though he does not know it, he is guilty and will be held responsible. 

God wasn’t through giving Moses directions for us….he used this chapter to give Moses another type of sacrifice…the guilt offering. It called for the person who had sinned…intentionally or accidently…to bring a sacrifice…to make restitution for their sin…to replace and renew the relationship that had been damaged.  God makes sure that he included everyone when he used the word….unintentionally.  Everyone was to bring a sacrifice…just in case…and offer it to God….to show their humility…to show they understood that human nature will begin to boast in how good it is if not kept in check.

Most of us have a hard time recalling the last time we intentionally sinned against God…but this chapter clearly says that we have sinned…and will sin again. We find this concept many places in the bible…but perhaps most clearly is that great verse in Romans ...that says ,” For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)  God opened up a whole can of new worms for us with this chapter…he gives us the knowledge that we are all sinners…whether we realize it or not. Only one person walked this earth perfect…and that was Jesus himself.

It is a mixture of recognition and remorse that God is looking for here. Sacrifice without remorse is a moot point anyway! If in our daily walk in this tainted world…we sin…it just makes sense to ask God to reveal it and get it off our record….who wants unresolved sin in their life to hold back the potential blessings waiting for us as we humble ourselves before God and bring our offering to him…because we know he is the only one who can wash us clean again.  My life application Bible said it was a sort of vaccination against a very dangerous disease!

I know I am guilty of sin….and even though I try to confess every morning the new one that God reveals to me…there are probably thousands of others that I block from my memory. I get ahead of God and try to use my own judgment to figure out what he wants…or I make foolish promises….that couldn’t be kept if I had tried.  I know that Peter really did not realize his sin in denying the Christ until that rooster crowed ..(Matthew 26:75)…his promise to God was heartfelt at the time he uttered it.  He had no clue what was about to happen. And Judas even thought he was doing the right thing…forcing Jesus into some kind of Military King here on Earth…(Matthew 27:3)…look what his remorse drove him to do.

It really is simple…we just need to let go of our human pride…that tries to convince us we are better than we are…and we allow God’s sweet love to turn us into creatures of pure humility…never questioning or trying to argue that we in ourselves know what we are doing is right…and pure.  Which means that we accept that we know we have sinned…and will sin again…so we just need to take that vaccine…and inoculate ourselves with the word of God….and pray like crazy… and study…and surround ourselves with other Christians that are thirsty to spread his love to others….so that God can keep us strong….and maybe help us recognize this sin ….so we can ask his forgiveness….and be restored to his glory….and be in his presence again.  Sorry…I know that is one whopper of a run on sentence…but isn’t that where we end up if we stay on the self-righteous side of this issue…a huge mess of life that runs on and on with absolutely no real meaning or purpose to anyone but ourselves?

Father…you are so amazing…to make provisions for me to be forgiven of sin I don’t even know I have committed yet. Allow me this day to ask you to forgive me of all I have done in the past…and all you know I will do in the future.  Give me a passion to seek you…and study your word….and pray for your guidance and wisdom to know what to do …what to say..and where to go to be your vessel.  Remove completely from my brain the selfish thoughts and confidence I have built up in my own mind…and replace it with a peace that I know I am walking in your great…perfect will for me. Let my actions show the love of you…as I replace my humanness with your presence alone. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment