Monday, October 15, 2012

Giving Abundantly


Exodus 36:2-7 - Then Moses summoned Bezalel and Oholiab and every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willingto come and do the work.  They received from Moses all the offerings the Israelites had brought to carry out the work of constructing the sanctuary. And the people continued to bring freewill offerings morning after morning.  So all the skilled workers who were doing all the work on the sanctuary left what they were doing  and said to Moses, “The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the Lord commanded to be done.”Then Moses gave an order and they sent this word throughout the camp: “No man or woman is to make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary.” And so the people were restrained from bringing more,  because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work.

The people were so willing…so passionate about God…that they brought their offerings in abundance. Each morning the people made their way to Moses…Bezalel….and Oholiab….and they gave…and gave …and gave. They just kept giving…till the integrity of the workmen was tested…and they had to tell the people to stop…they had enough…God’s house had more than enough raw materials to become the grand tabernacle tent that God designed for himself. So Moses commanded them to bring no more.

When was the last time I gave so much I was told to stop? Do I really understand the term ‘free will offering’…for generosity …. the passion to give cheerfully …willingly…is shadowed by MY need to provide for MY basic needs. I do the math…and see what I can afford to give.  I sure don’t add up what I have….and ask God what he wants me to do with it. Two days in a row he has hit me with the raw fact that I just don’t give enough of what I have been given…I really have not grasped the concept of giving what he gave to me back to him…and trust that HE will provide what I need.

There was a domino effect going on in the camp those mornings. As the first people brought their gifts…others must have watched their happy faces…seen the joy they felt as they walked away from Moses…and those who collected the materials. Maybe the giving became contagious…the buzz in women’s home all about the cool feeling they felt when they laid their gifts at Moses feet. Soon the rest of them were gathering their gifts…and making the trek to Moses too.  Or maybe they ones who gave the first time…enjoyed the pleasure of giving so much that they returned for a second time…just because they could.

As I write…my mind is thinking of our Church’s annual Free Christmas Store..that will provide clothing and toys to around 500 children…ages 5-14  this year. I feel a passion …maybe the kind that these people felt about the tabernacle.  Maybe it stems from my daily contact with middle school children…but I see so many that have so little…and I want them and their families to see the love of Christ in the abundance that Moses saw the materials come in for the tabernacle.  So I will share a bit of my dream this morning…to provide for all 500 children…a pair of new tennis shoes…a pair of jeans…a simple t-shirt…and a toy of some sort. A simple gift to compare with the gifts I received every Christmas.  And I know without a doubt that my God is big enough to provide more than enough to complete this simple wish…and more.

Father…I thank you that you have provided for me more than I need each day…and I pray you allow me to channel those resources to provide for the needs of others that you have ordained. I know that my meager bank account is not capable of providing all that these children need…but I also know that you can multiply what I have and create a domino effect throughout the county…state…even the world. Give me a heart for others …and allow me to give generously to this project…then let it be contagious…and touch others around me so much that it even creates an overabundance of gifts that can be shared with other agencies that provide needs for others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment