Sunday, October 14, 2012

Generous Hearts


Exodus 35:20 24 - So all the people left Moses and went to their tents to prepare their gifts.  If their hearts were stirred and they desired to do so, they brought to the LORD their offerings of materials for the Tabernacle and its furnishings and for the holy garments.  Both men and women came, all whose hearts were willing. Some brought to the LORD their offerings of gold -- medallions, earrings, rings from their fingers, and necklaces. They presented gold objects of every kind to the LORD.  Others brought blue, purple, and scarlet yarn, fine linen, or goat hair for cloth. Some gave tanned ram skins or fine goatskin leather.  Others brought silver and bronze objects as their offering to the LORD. And those who had acacia wood brought it. 

Moses had called them all together…to remind them that the 7th day was to be a day of rest…then he explained that God had told him to tell them about all the materials they would need to build his tabernacle. The Lord said if they wished…if they were willing…if they had generous hearts….they were to go home and prepare God an offering…a specific offering of something they could give to help build the tabernacle. God did not just call them to bring material wealth…he called them to give of their time and talents…to weave the linen cloth…to carve the poles….to shape the gold into the lampstand and tools the priests would need. God called everyone to search their heart…and willingly give of what they had been blessed. 

And those whose hearts were stirred….men and women…they hurried to their tent to prepare and gather….to weave and make cloth…to carve the acacia wood they brought with them from Egypt. They brought their offerings in abundance….and those whom God had given artistic ability sat in or near their tents and made curtains…or embroidered it with cherubs.  Some gathered the gold and other precious jewlry from their homes…even pulled the rings off their fingers…to give it all to God.

Makes me think about just how much I would have to give God…and how fast I would hurry to gather my precious belongings if God sent someone like Moses to give me the same commission. I realize that this was a time ordained by God. ..that he had allowed them to plunder the Egyptians…so that they would have the things they needed to build his special house.  But if I think about it..God has given me everything I have too. Come to think of it…I hear the similar words of Moses every Sunday when my pastor calls the ushers down and prays over the collection of tithes and offerings. Do I really have a generous…willing heart? Am I truly ‘stirred’ to give all that I have …including my time…to help my church…the present house of God…and the place where its ministries can reach all the people God needs to reach?

Many questions are stirring my own heart as I write….thoughts like …Is the tithe from my net income really all I can give?  Maybe I should tithe from my gross amount.  Are the few other ministries I send money to …all that God needs me too?  Maybe I should pray that he give me direction to know if other ministries could benefit by the resources he gave me. Do I give God enough of my time?  Maybe I need to do more..to serve the church with my writing…or singing…or sewing abilities. What else to I have that he can use to build his kingdom?  Is my heart stirred…as these people to rush home every time I am paid and do I really pray for God to show me what he wants me to do with HIS money!

Oh father…help me to search my heart this day and reconsider my attitudes about tithes and offerings.  Give me a willing heart…a generous heart…stir it to search through the belongings I have and bring anything I own….willingly…cheerfully..to your house…for you to use to teach others about your love. Give me direction…and place in my heart and soul a passion to use my time for your purposes…not my own. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment