Thursday, October 4, 2012

Our Offerings to Build God's House


Exodus 25:1-8 -  The LORD said to Moses,  "Speak to the people of Israel, that they take for me an offering; from every man whose heart makes him willing you shall receive the offering for me.  And this is the offering which you shall receive from them: gold, silver, and bronze,  blue and purple and scarlet stuff and fine twined linen, goats' hair,  tanned rams' skins, goatskins, acacia wood,  oil for the lamps, spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense,  onyx stones, and stones for setting, for the ephod and for the breastpiece.  And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell in their midst. 

After Moses had heard all of the commands of God to give to the people…God gave Moses one other instruction.  God told Moses to tell the people of Israel to bring him an offering….and offering from all that they had received from the people of Egypt…the gold and precious metals…the best of their animal skins…oils and fragrant incense….and precious stones.  They were to bring what their hearts desired…whatever they wanted too…so they could build God a holy place…a house…so he could dwell with them.

God isn’t satisfied with watching us from above…he wants to live among us….and dwell  in our midst.  And so he gave Moses instructions to have the people bring an offering to him….knowing that each small piece brought by one family…would provide more than they needed to build him a grand tent…a holy tent…so he could live right there in the middle of the camp….where they could all come worship him. This would be God’s house…a holy sanctuary…a place built with his instructions…and the love of the people he had chosen for his own.

God wanted a permanent place for them to place his rules….so he gave them instructions for an ornate box of gold and acacia wood…a grand table inlayed with precious gold for his bread…and a pure gold candle stick to provide a steady light as they learned to follow God and make him more than just a presence that spoke to Moses from a cloud. God wanted a relationship with all of them…so he instructed them to build his house in the midst of them.

God stills wants a personal relationship with us all…he still asks us to bring the best of what he gave us to his feet. He wants us to give back to him the most precious things that he blessed us with…so he can abide with us. He wants us to channel his love through his body of believers…to gather for worship…to bring him the best of the money he blessed us with… the time he allows us to spend on his Earth … and all the other resources he placed in us all….so that he may use us..use our blessings to bless others with his love.

And even as I feel his presence strongly when I go into his sanctuary…that precious building where I gather with others to sing hymns…fellowship and pray…worship and listen to his word….I also feel him very much at home….and everywhere I find my feet taking me each day.  I feel him the greatest when I am on my knees…and he guides my thoughts each morning as I write…because God is not hidden by a veil any more…the light of that lamp reflects his holy face everywhere I go. And if I let him…even my own life can be a mirror of that sweet light.

Oh father…I thank you that you allowed Moses to show us how to bring our offerings to the Lord…so he can use them to build a great network of resources…to use to tell others about your great love.  Take all that I have been given…I give it all back to you…to use the way you need. Show me Lord exactly what to do with every penny you allow me to make.  Show me Lord how to spend every minute of my day with you…working to bring all the lost and dying people to know your great love.  Allow me to bask in the light of your love and eat of your great table as long as I live. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment