Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Blessings of a Job Well Done


Exodus 39:32-33 and 43  -  And so at last the Tabernacle was finished. The Israelites had done everything just as the LORD had commanded Moses.  And they brought the entire Tabernacle to Moses: the sacred tent with all its furnishings, the clasps, frames, crossbars, posts, and bases………… Moses inspected all their work and blessed them because it had been done as the LORD had commanded him.

It must have been a grand parade….as they took up the pieces of the temple and carried them to Moses. They knew they had done everything just the way Moses had relayed the information from the Lord…but the needed him to see it…to check their work.  And just like God…who created the world….looked back on each day as he finished his work and said…it is good…Moses looked at each piece of the tabernacle and declared it exactly what God had showed him.  Then he blessed the people who had spent their time…surrendered their talents to make the holy structure of God…and all the  contents…even the wardrobe of the priests.

Oh what joy must have filled them to know that they had done everything correctly. Oh what great pride must have filled them as they received the blessings of Moses on their work. I wonder if Moses expected them to finish the work so fast. It had to be less than year since he gave them the plans…some commentaries estimated that they made everything in around 6 months.  Moses must have been so proud of them…for doing such a perfect job…for following God’s plans so perfectly.

These pieces they brought to be checked…these items that God had ordered them to make…would never be just a separate ‘thing’ they had made again. Everything from the linen cloth….to the tools for sacrificing animals…to the beautiful robes of the priests….it would all become a tabernacle now. All that they had made….would become the house of God….where they could come and pray…and offer their sacrifices…and be forgiven of their sins. And those clothes they made for the priests…they would become more than just gold inlayed things to wear….they would become the clothes they wore when they appeared before God….and begin to be the vessels through which God would minister to their needs.

We may not need the pieces of this tabernacle to worship God anymore…the pieces I read about have been long destroyed by time and the elements of Earth. And even that is no problem…for the veil in the Holy of Holies was torn…the moment that Jesus gave his life for me….allowing me to worship God any time I want…if I ask him to come live in my heart.  What does remain is the person…the talent that God placed in those people to make the things he needed.  What remains is the person he wants to be a vessel for his word! These people…they got it. They listened to Moses and searched their hearts for what they had to offer God…and they went to work crafting everything God said to make.  They brought just what was needed…and followed his plans exactly…and received a blessing at the end of their work.

Oh father…help me to listen and hear your instructions.  Help me to know that I am following the blueprint for my life…so I can be the vessel you need me to be. Help me to know what piece of your great plan you have assigned to me and help me to uncover the talents and skills you placed in me to accomplish your will.  And God…thank you for the blessings on my life…in spite of the fact that I know I have not followed your blueprint for me so far.  You are so amazing …how you just keep giving me chance after chance to try it again. Thank you for loving me more that I am capable of loving myself…teach me how to love others the way you do me…so I can hear clearly the plans you have for me…to prosper me….and bless me in spite of my shortcomings and faults. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment