Saturday, January 19, 2013

Blessings For Obedience


Deuteronomy 28:1-5 -  "If you fully obey the LORD your God by keeping all the commands I am giving you today, the LORD your God will exalt you above all the nations of the world.  You will experience all these blessings if you obey the LORD your God:  You will be blessed in your towns and in the country.  You will be blessed with many children and productive fields. You will be blessed with fertile herds and flocks.  You will be blessed with baskets overflowing with fruit, and with kneading bowls filled with bread.  You will be blessed wherever you go, both in coming and in going.

 

I am so glad that Moses started this speech with the positive side of following God’s rules.  The blessings he promised encompass every part of our daily life…from food to relationships.  The blessings of God are there…for all those who believe in him and obey the rules he gave us to have a long and prosperous life...and they follow us everywhere he sends us to do his work.

 

Almost seems like a no brainer…we do what God asks…and he blesses us in return. But in my life I know that I fall so short of what God calls me to do…I break at least one rule every day…and I struggle with some of his rules more than others.  So I wonder daily how God could bless me as much as he does…with a great place to live…a job that pays the bills...with a church that gives me support…and friends and family around the world who love me. Maybe I do more right than I do wrong…but there are days I beat myself up cause I know I messed up bad….and God’s blessings are so abundant that I know I don’t deserve them.

 

It also crosses my mind that the blessings of God are not always so obvious to our human brains.  Over the last two years…I have come to realize that even the 4 short months I had with my second husband were a blessing…for in the sadness and emptiness of his death…I have seen God work in my life. God has filled the void of Mitchell’s absence….with a powerful love and thirst for his word…and he is showing me how to praise him …even in the saddest time of my life.  Just like Laura Story’s great song….sometimes his greatest blessings come through the tears of our struggles.

 

Father…I thank you this morning for every good and perfect thing you have ever given me…those blessings that I recognized immediately…and those that you are still trying to help me see.  Help me to focus more on you than ever before…so I can continue to drink in the goodness of all you have planned for me…plans to prosper me…and give me hope for the future…even when on the surface it seems that you have taken something really good away.  Give me eyes and ears to listen to you …and begin to follow more of your rules…so you can bestow on me the full blessings you have stored up just for me. Amen.

 

Here is the link to Laura’s Song…Blessings….sorry about the ad!    http://youtu.be/4mmgV6mPvb0  

No comments:

Post a Comment