Monday, January 7, 2013

No Poor Among You


­­­Deuteronomy 15:4-8 -  There should be no poor among you, for the LORD your God will greatly bless you in the land he is giving you as a special possession.  You will receive this blessing if you carefully obey the commands of the LORD your God that I am giving you today.  The LORD your God will bless you as he has promised. You will lend money to many nations but will never need to borrow! You will rule many nations, but they will not rule over you!  "But if there are any poor people in your towns when you arrive in the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or tightfisted toward them.  Instead, be generous and lend them whatever they need.

 

There were so many rules for Moses to give the people…this one dealt with how they should share the wealth of the land once they claimed it. The land they were being given had plenty for all…no one person was to claim it for themselves.  They were to lend what God gave them freely to others that they met along the way,…and even forgive the debts after 7 years. God would greatly bless them for their generosity.

 

The bible is filled with similar verses…Proverbs 19:17….Luke 6:35….Matthew 5:42…Psalms 37:26 and Psalms 112:5 just to name a few. They all speak of opening our hearts and pocketbooks to those that have hit hard times. They tell us to give generously….and not charge interest…for this action of blessing others with the wealth God has a greater meaning than just helping others.  It models for others the true love of God...the forgiveness that he gives us all…the love he showers on us without asking anything in return.

 

I have to say that this rule isn’t always easy to follow.  I want to give freely…and generously….but do I need to stop and give every panhandler on the side of the road a twenty?  Do we give everyone who asks all that they ask us for…every time they ask?  Maybe I am wrong when I say this...but my heart is thinking that God doesn’t give me everything I ask for…so maybe he doesn’t want us thinking that we can just blow our paychecks away…and then go ask someone else who was responsible to pick up the slack for us.  And everyone who finds themselves in the poverty level did not cause it themselves!  Taking in a family member for a short time while they get back on their feet…is very different than giving money to a stranger on the side of the road. We simply have to pray for discernment…so that God can tell us who and when to help…and when he has other plans for someone in need.

 

And it needs to be said that this rule was not just to be followed Christmas and Thanksgiving.  People need our help year round…not just when the Christmas or Thanksgiving spirit tugs at our heart. We really need to be praying about how we can follow this rule all the time. If you have ever loaned money before…you know the blessing is just as Moses says.  Your heart swells with joy to know that you have done something to sustain someone’s hope for the future. You can give through the tithes of your local church…and let the pastor decide which phone calls that come in to request help… merit help.  You can support a local homeless shelter or food pantry with monthly donations.  You can choose a family and randomly bless them with a payment on their utility bill.

 

Father…I thank you for reminding me of the blessings you have showered on me and how I need to share them with others.  Help me to always follow this rule…by praying each day for you to reveal to me who and how I need to help others. Show me how I can share your love with others by sharing of my money…my time…and the other talents and gifts you have blessed me with…with others that need to see your love in action…with others that need to see new hope for the future.  Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment