Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Get Serious About Bible Study


Deuteronomy 17:19-20 -  He must always keep this copy of the law with him and read it daily as long as he lives. That way he will learn to fear the LORD his God by obeying all the terms of this law.  This regular reading will prevent him from becoming proud and acting as if he is above his fellow citizens. It will also prevent him from turning away from these commands in the smallest way. This will ensure that he and his descendants will reign for many generations in Israel.

 

Moses gave this piece of advice to the people about the kings chosen in their future.  He knew that they would see the way other lands were ruled and want to have their nation organized that way too. God did not say it was forbidden….but gave them guidelines instead to help them pick the man that God had chosen for the job. One of the first things the king needed to do was to copy the bible for himself….and study it daily.  Moses said it would help guard is heart against pride and keep him focused on God’s ways.

 

It goes without much argument that this is good advice for all…especially since the world I live in isn’t guided by a king anymore.  I was born in a great land of freedom…where I can study and worship the way I want.  I should have a personal copy of God’s great Bible…and study it daily…so pride and the things of this world will not prevent me from turning away from God too. 

 

I began to realize the power and strength that God his in his word three years ago…when I began to open one of my three Bibles every day…and not just read a few words. It birthed a passion to really know what the Bible meant….and how I could use it to live a more fulfilled life.  I did not want to just read it any more…I wanted to really understand it…and claim it every day as a strength to make each day about him…instead of myself.

 

The true strength in the Bible is found when you open its contents and read them with your heart as well as your eyes.  He will begin to convict you of sin you have justified by the world’s standards for years.  Your heart will begin to wonder if all the things you do are really okay…because the truth in his word will tell you to deepen your understanding of what he wants for your life.

 

This is not the only verse in the Bible that tells us to get serious about our Bible.  Psalm 119:11 tells us that King David actually hid the words of his Bible in his heart…and Paul told Timothy in 1 Timothy 4:15 to be diligent…and committed to the task of knowing God through his word.  It’s a huge book…it takes me a little over three years to read a chapter each night…and really study what it means for my life each day. I consider changing some old practice every day because he opens up a deeper meaning than I saw the first time I read it.

 

We need to be careful…for it is easy to read the Bible piecemeal…and take just the parts we want to justify how we live.  It is easy to be tricked into searching the scriptures to justify what we do…like Jesus warned the teachers of the law in John 5:39.  He knew that the whole scripture was not in their heart…just the part they wanted…that allowed them to live and be in charge of themselves and everyone around them…to have their cake and eat it too. That was part of Moses’ warning to them too. That Bible was to be kept with him all the time…to keep pride and material wealth from becoming more important that God.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that this passion for Bible study is an important part of who you want me to be. Help me to always find the time to open your word and really read it…and try to understand what you need me to …as I read the many stories of old…and the life and words of Jesus himself.  Begin to place the words of this great book in my heart…so that even when I don’t have it with me…it words resound in my heart…and help me make all the right decisions…so I can follow your will for my life…and model your love for others. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very much inspired when I've visited your blog. Your blog is really informative. Hope you will continue with new article. Christian homeschool curriculum

    ReplyDelete