Thursday, January 31, 2013

Faith Isn't Always Logical


Joshua 6:1-5 -  Now Jericho was tightly shut up because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in.  Then the LORD said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men.  March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days.  Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets.  When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have all the people give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the people will go up, every man straight in."

 

Jericho was one of the oldest cities built at the time….a mighty fortress…walls 25 feet high in places.  They thought the city to be invincible… so they gathered all the people they could into the city and shut it tight…posted guards…and waited.  No one left…and no one entered…all inside thought themselves to be safe. I can just imagine what laughter  must have been released from their bellies … what fun must have been poked from inside those high walls as they watched the army of Israel simply march in silence around the city one time each day for six days. It must have seemed simply ludicrous ….causing days of entertainment because of the seeming absurdity of this army’s techniques.

 

It took the Canaanites completely by surprise.  The walls fell with the mighty …faith filled shout of the Israelites…they rushed in from all sides…and the rest is a gory picture that is hard to imagine.  God proved that only he is invincible…nothing built by man can withstand his control…nothing we do on our own could ever come close to his power and strength to keep his promises.  If we but follow his simple directions…he will do the rest. This battle was won completely by God…for no human effort was given.

 

It reminds me that God doesn’t always work in the parameters of what we are used too.  He gives us what seems like a silly direction…and if we follow it…no matter how unbelievable it sounds….we see his power at work in our lives like never before.  God allows some tragedy or loss to shake us to our very core…and if we draw close to him…and wait for him to reveal his purpose…we become strong ...filled with a faith that is unshakeable…accepting it as a pathway to a greater purpose…allowing God to heal and strengthen us to fulfill his plan for our lives. 

 

Just like Joshua’s battle…which was won before it started…our battle is already won too. Jesus conquered Satan when he died on the cross …we don’t have to run and hide from Satan inside a walled city.  I need to walk silently around the world and wait for God to tell me how to fight him…just trusting that the small piece I see is a part of a bigger plan….to prosper me….and give me a purpose for my future.  With God…things are not always logical…as we have learned to define it.  He asks us…like he did Joshua…to walk out in faith and just do what he tells us…even if it sounds silly at the time.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that my life is totally in your control.  You alone have the ending...and I must learn to follow your simple directions…one day at a time…even when they seem illogical at the time. Help me to listen …to be silent as I just rest in your love and care…and wait.  Make your directions clear….so I can do what you have called me to do.  Help me to shout out in faith…and watch you do mighty things in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment