Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Is God Your Life?


Deuteronomy 32:45-49 -  When Moses had finished reciting these words to Israel,  he added: "Take to heart all the words I have given you today. Pass them on as a command to your children so they will obey every word of this law.  These instructions are not mere words -- they are your life! By obeying them you will enjoy a long life in the land you are crossing the Jordan River to occupy."  That same day the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Moab, to the mountains east of the river, and climb Mount Nebo, which is across from Jericho. Look out across the land of Canaan, the land I am giving to the people of Israel as their own possession.

 

Moses was a much loved child…a prince…a murderer…a fugitive…a shepherd…a chosen servant of God…and a songwriter.  It’s a long song…but it is beautiful...full of rich wisdom from his many years of close contact with God.  And as Moses closes his beautiful song…his last speech to the people of Israel…he tells them to meditate on the words he has given them...to teach them to all the children that will be born…because they are not just words…they are the life of every one who believes in God.

 

And God chose that moment...those rich words that sum up the whole of every relationship with God…to let Moses climb the mountain at last and see the Promised Land ...from a distance.  Moses would fall asleep gazing at the most beautiful land ever…and wake in even more beauty and spendor….as he crossed over into Heaven…instead of the promised land.

 

I wonder what Moses thought about as he climbed that mountain…were their tears of remorse…or perhaps tears of relief….even gratitude.  For Moses’ life was full of good things…and he constantly gave God thanks for all of it. Moses practiced what he preached...as I used to hear growing up….he lived the words he spoke to the people…he taught them to all the children of Israel…God was his life.

 

One might think Moses’ punishment…not getting to set his feet on the land of promise….was pretty harsh….he only fell to his human flesh once.  Personally …..I think it is just another example of how rich God’s mercy is. He took away one thing…but replaced it with something greater…for Heaven in all its glory had to be better than the land God promised the Israelites here on Earth.

 

It should give us all great hope…especially those of us that God has allowed to lose something great…for he has something great in store for us too…and he might even give it to us while we are on this side of Heaven. But even if he doesn’t give it to us in our earthly lifetime….it will still come…for we will all climb our last mountain someday…and fall asleep to wake to the most beautiful voice.  Somehow I just know that small still voice of God is going to sound pretty glorious in person.

 

Father…I want you to be my life…so teach me how to be more focused on you.  Forgive me first …for all the lame attempts I make to be your child…and show me how to follow these great rules that Moses set before us.  Allow me to see your burning bush…and let it consume my whole being.  Let me hear your still small voice in everything I attempt to do…so I know that it is what you want…and not my selfish flesh.  Give me discernment father…and show me how to meditate on you and the great Bible you left me...and find time to really speak to you every day…like Moses did. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment