Monday, January 14, 2013

Keep Your Promises


Deuteronomy 23:21-23 -  "When you make a vow to the LORD your God, be prompt in doing whatever you promised him. For the LORD your God demands that you promptly fulfill all your vows. If you don't, you will be guilty of sin.  However, it is not a sin to refrain from making a vow.  But once you have voluntarily made a vow, be careful to do as you have said, for you have made a vow to the LORD your God.

 

This is the second time Moses has told us how important it is to keep the vows we make to God. The first time was in Numbers 30:2…..when he said… “If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” Promises are binding …forever.

 

We’ve all been in that spot…where we have reached the end of our rope...and instead of just asking God to take over…and trust that he  has a plan…we start a dialogue that tells God we will change…if he will help us this one last time.  Then as soon as things are better…causes God seems to always grant these requests….we go back to our old ways…and forget the promise we made to God. According to Moses…we had better rethink this way of reasoning with God. For if we made any kind of promise to him…he expects us to keep our word….forever…and he will hold us accountable.

 

God wants our actions to come from a heart that loves him…not a heart that expects favors because we promised him some extra good behavior in return.  It makes me remember….sometimes in my children’s teen years…how they would want something really bad…and they would promise to do something …if I would buy them something…or allow them to spend the night with a friend. I also remember the disappointment sometimes when I would go to their room…and see the mess they left…which broke the promise.  I guess that is how God feels…when we make promises to him…and not keep them…but his disappointment must be a billion times greater.

 

This is such a strong reminder to me this morning…that my love for God should compel me to always consider what he would want first…I should be driven to do all that he wants….without asking anything in return. I should be so focused and tuned into his voice…that I know what he wants…and just do it…because I know that is what he wants.

 

Father…help me to listen to your still small voice and know that you are God.  Help me to trust you so deeply that I don’t feel the need to promise you something to know that you are caring for my needs. Let my only vow to God be to love him forever…and walk in his ways…and search for his perfect will for my life. Forgive me for the times that I have made a promise…then forgot it…or not asked for the strength to keep it.  Renew my love for you this morning…and help me remember all the promises I once made…so I can fulfill my vows to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment