Sunday, January 27, 2013

Rahab...Courage... Faith..and Belief


Joshua 2:8-13 -  Before the spies lay down for the night, she went up on the roof and said to them, "I know that the LORD has given this land to you and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you.  We have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. When we heard of it, our hearts melted and everyone's courage failed because of you, for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them, and that you will save us from death."

 

Who would figure…that God would reveal himself to a known harlot…and use her to save these two spies. What faith and courage it must have taken for Rahab to hide the spies on her roof…to send the kings men in the opposite direction so they would be safe. But she doesn’t just hide them…she boldly proclaimed to them that their God was different…and she feared him…and wanted his protection…not his judgment….for her whole family.

 

Rahab’s story proves that God can use anybody…anytime.  God melted her heart and revealed to her that he was the only God…and she accepted him into her home…and changed her life to be used of him in an instant.  I’m jumping ahead a bit to later chapters….but the blessings she received for turning her life over to God did not stop…for she was taken into the Israelite’s camp…was given the wonderful child Boaz…who was one of the ancestors of Christ himself.

 

Her faith made her whole…just like the many others Jesus healed in the Streets during his ministry…James 2:25 says…. “In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?’”   And whoever wrote Hebrews 11 included Rahab in their great examples of faith…for verse 31 says… “By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.”

 

Father…grant that I would have more faith.…to see you in your goodness...to accept the parts of your plan that I cannot see…to trust that you have blessings to give me when I believe in that which I cannot see.  Forgive me for not trusting you…for wanting to see more than you know I need right now.  Help me to learn to wait…and hope and trust in your love for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment