Sunday, January 13, 2013

Love Your Neighbor


Deuteronomy 22:1-4 -  "If you see your neighbor's ox or sheep wandering away, don't pretend not to see it. Take it back to its owner.  If it does not belong to someone nearby or you don't know who the owner is, keep it until the owner comes looking for it; then return it.  Do the same if you find your neighbor's donkey, clothing, or anything else your neighbor loses. Don't pretend you did not see it.  "If you see your neighbor's ox or donkey lying on the road, do not look the other way. Go and help your neighbor get it to its feet!

 

Moses is sure to tell them that loving God means they love their neighbor too….by helping them…by caring for lost things…or assisting them when they needed help with tasks that were too great for one. If our hearts understand the love of our father…then they imitate the way he cares for each of us….it becomes a natural thing…to love others…to actually look for ways to help them.

 

God knew people would fight this simple rule…so he placed other verses in the Bible to make sure we were reminded often…to care for others.  Stretched from Leviticus 19:18…which says… “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.” …to Mark 12:29-31…where Jesus himself addressed the issue with these words…. “ Jesus replied, "The most important commandment is this: 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord.  And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.'  The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." 

 

Let’s see…how did John 3:16 put it…for God so loved…the entire world…that he gave his only son. I sure can’t top that….I just can’t fathom the love he had for me...that compelled him to give up his son …to a horrible death on a cross…to save me from my sin.  But I can become his servant…and love as many people as he has cross my path…with my smile…with a kind word…with an invite to church…or even a more tangible gesture of love…like cooking a meal for a sick friend…or buying gas for a stranded traveler begging on the road.

 

Moses used the words…don’t look the other way! So I am thinking of all the times I made excuses not to help someone ….because they didn’t look safe enough…or I was in a hurry…or I was angry that they thought bumming on the side of the road was okay in the first place.  In God’s eyes …it may make the few times I carefully picked who to help not count toward following this rule….cause my attitude wasn’t quite right for every time I had an opportunity to help.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that everyone you gave life to is my neighbor…and I need to love them like I love you.  Help me to embrace the task of being your eyes and ears on Earth…and search for ways to show your love to not just those I know….but to all the people you carefully choose to cross my path...cause you know I have what they need to understand a little more about you.  Give me courage and discernment…to know when and how to help those you send my way. Help me embrace your love by showing it to others…no matter who they are…or what they look like.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment