Thursday, January 3, 2013

Family Style Worship...The Church


Deuteronomy 12:8-12  - You are not to do as we do here today, everyone as he sees fit,  since you have not yet reached the resting place and the inheritance the LORD your God is giving you.  But you will cross the Jordan and settle in the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, and he will give you rest from all your enemies around you so that you will live in safety.  Then to the place the LORD your God will choose as a dwelling for his Name--there you are to bring everything I command you: your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, and all the choice possessions you have vowed to the LORD.  And there rejoice before the LORD your God, you, your sons and daughters, your menservants and maidservants, and the Levites from your towns, who have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

 

Moses made sure to describe the way God wanted them to worship him in this new land.  He was fixing to give them a much bigger territory to possess….they would be spread out over a much larger territory than they were accustomed to…the central tabernacle would be much too far away from some of the tribes.  He described for them how God was going to choose a place for each tribe to worship and offer the sacrifices God would require for their sins.

 

They would have to completely destroy any existing pagan altar….break...smash…burn…and rid their new land of any trace of the detestable ways of the people who had lived there before them had worshiped the many gods they had invented. Then they would have to create a new place…that God would choose…and remember to go and offer their sacrifices to him…and worship him.  God still wanted them to worship as a family…as a tribe…in a central worship place.

 

God intended family style worship from the beginning. At some point most Christian religions have somehow designated Sunday for this task…and that works for most…so it stuck.  The American Sabbath…the tradition of Sunday worship…with a group of like believers…in a central location…for the purpose of praising God…offering our tithes and offerings…..and training our hearts to soak up the knowledge of God from his bible.

 

I am thanking God for this new scripture that helps me encourage those around me to join a church.  There are many of my friends…family…and students…who just don’t see the need to join together in corporate worship.  Sunday is their day of rest….a time to recharge themselves…they worship by watching a TV evangelist… study on their own…or don’t worship at all. 

 

It would take reams of paper for me to share the strength and wisdom that has come from being a part of many churches over the years.  The one I found when I moved to London, KY after the divorce…has been my source of healing…a refuge of people who loved on me and helped me to forgive and move on.  They were there for me when I found love again…celebrated with me as I married….and cried with me as God took him home to Heaven so quickly.  I for one just don’t understand how anyone can make it in this world without such a group of people….a band of believers in God…who gather together on Sunday for worship...and Wednesday nights for bible study and fellowship. 

 

So I encourage you to embrace your current church a little more deeply…be that close family that God intended. Search for him there and worship him with all your heart and mind. And if you are one of those that believe you don’t need to follow this advice from Moses….please reconsider this day.  God has provided a varied wealth of worship styles…and he intends for you to find one of them …and begin to fellowship and draw from their wisdom and strength.  Maybe there is someone there that he intends for you to help…as you share your own wisdom and strength with those already there that might be waiting for you to join them.

 

Father...I thank you so much for my church….for placing me there and helping me to make the choice to join them.  I could never thank them enough for the last three years of comfort…of bible instruction…of fellowship.  Bless each one that has come together to help me heal…to celebrate the good times…or offer their shoulders in comfort. Help me to be that comfort and shoulder…and healing to someone else. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment