Tuesday, January 15, 2013

True Justice


Deuteronomy 24:17-22 -  "True justice must be given to foreigners living among you and to orphans, and you must never accept a widow's garment in pledge of her debt.  Always remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I have given you this command.  "When you are harvesting your crops and forget to bring in a bundle of grain from your field, don't go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigners, orphans, and widows. Then the LORD your God will bless you in all you do.  When you beat the olives from your olive trees, don't go over the boughs twice. Leave some of the olives for the foreigners, orphans, and widows.  This also applies to the grapes in your vineyard. Do not glean the vines after they are picked, but leave any remaining grapes for the foreigners, orphans, and widows.  Remember that you were slaves in the land of Egypt. That is why I am giving you this command.

 

Moses continues to deliver many seemingly random rules for living…but except for the command to be careful of leprosy…all the rules in this chapter seem to deal with how we treat each other. He tells us that ‘true justice’ should rule our thoughts and actions…especially with those that find themselves widows…orphans…or poor foreigners in a land. He told them to always find a way to purposely leave something for them in the fields…or olive groves…or vineyards…so that they could go and glean the extra to sustain them in their hardship.  He called their attention to the fact they too had suffered once…and they should never forget how God provided for them in their slavery. 

 

We really should not have to be reminded to treat all people properly …if we truly love God...and he has taken up residence in our hearts…then his love should naturally overflow into our actions toward others.  We should look purposely for ways to help all those which God leads to cross our paths….because we will always have those in our midst that need our help.  Deuteronomy 15:11 says…. “ For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.”

 

A google search of Bible verses on the subject quickly overloaded my brain…but the book of Matthew seemed to win the prize of ‘best advice given on helping the less fortunate.’  And I must add that the term…less fortunate…doesn’t always describe the poor.  The world is full of people who hide the pain life has caused their soul…they look as stable and average as the next person. Every teenager dressed in an Abercrombie T-shirt is not as well off as you might think.  People have become masters at ‘looking’ the part…when in reality…their lives are a hidden mess…known only to the four walls they hide in each night.  I am thinking that is why Matthew recorded these great words of Jesus…. in Matthew 25:35-40 … “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’  We never truly know how one simple…random….act of kindness touches someone’s life…possibly exposing them to God’s love for the first time.

 

We might truly be some of these loving human’s last hope for a connection to God that might save their lives.  That teen who sits in my classroom ...in his name brand shirt...might be considering running away…or worse.  That businessman you said hello to this morning at the cleaners…is trying to figure out whether to claim bankruptcy and try to figure what words he will use to let his family know their life is changing drastically in the next week.  That lady sitting across from you in church is struggling with the abuse in her life…and could really benefit if you looked close….and noticed the bruise she is hiding with all that make up you just made fun of her for.  I guarantee that Satan is working on a plan to keep them confused.

 

Father…how sweetly you remind me that I should always be thinking about how I can show your love to others.  I thank you that you gave these great words to Moses…and placed them in just the right ‘spots’ in your Bible…so that I will see them many times.  Help me to never be satisfied that I am doing enough for others ….help me to always search for new ways to share your love… and reach those that might be hiding their pain and emptiness behind some ‘name brand’ façade…or seemingly successful business…or makeup.  Help me to really see into the souls of those you lead close enough for me to whisper words of comfort…or wisdom…or truth.  Amen.

 

Here’s a link to a great song by Casting Crowns… Does Anybody Hear Her.  It brought me to tears this morning…there are so many hurting people out there…afraid to share their pain. God help us all to be a light to these hurting souls.       http://youtu.be/OEhRucEVzH8       

No comments:

Post a Comment