Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fan or Follower


Deuteronomym29:1-4 -  These are the terms of the covenant the LORD commanded Moses to make with the Israelites while they were in the land of Moab, in addition to the covenant he had made with them at Mount Sinai.  Moses summoned all the Israelites and said to them, "You have seen with your own eyes everything the LORD did in Egypt to Pharaoh and all his servants and his whole country --  all the great tests of strength, the miraculous signs, and the amazing wonders.  But to this day the LORD has not given you minds that understand, nor eyes that see, nor ears that hear!

 

One more reminder from Moses… that they did not just have a casual relationship with God.  They had made a commitment to God…to be his people...and were to keep the covenant they had made with him.  God would keep his side of the agreement…and they would finally cross the river Jordan into the land he had promised them.  They were to just keep resting in the provisions they had received for the last 40 years…cause God had even greater plans for them…plans he had not fully revealed yet.

 

Verse 4…. “ But to this day the LORD has not given you minds that understand, nor eyes that see, nor ears that hear!” …just stuck in my head as I read it. Moses’ reminder to them that God doesn’t always give us every detail of the plans for our future…or reveal to us every hidden truth in the passages we read from his word…seemed to be just what I needed to hear too! God’s blessings don’t come with the choice to get one lump payment or monthly checks…he gives us just what we need…when he knows we can handle it.

 

Our commitment to him should not be based on the blessings he gave us for the week…but the covenant we made with him when we asked him to be our savior.  We are ‘fickle’…in the words of the Tri-County First Priority leader Tim Bargo …that I heard speak at last night’s annual youth rally at Soul’s Harbor Church. He challenged us all to be ‘disciples’ of God…instead of ‘fans.” That’s what Moses was doing…telling them to be disciples…and keep growing and learning about God…so he could keep revealing the rest of that great Bible to them…so he could open their eyes to the truth...so they could hear his voice tell them how to live their life.

 

He didn’t tell them about his great plans to send his son many years in the future…it wouldn’t have made sense to them.  God already knew that they would fail again…many times….and he would have to send his son to be our sacrifice…to finally conquer sin in the world.  I will never fully understand the sacrifice God made in giving his son in the first place…or the love that gave Jesus the strength and power to die on that cross.  The least I can do is keep my end of the bargain….and love him with all my heart…all my soul...and all my mind.  AND…learn to wait on him to reveal what he knows I need….when he knows I am ready to be obedient.

 

Father…you keep amazing me with bits and pieces of your wonderful plan for me.  Forgive me for being more of a ‘fan’ than a ‘disciple.’  Thank you for leading me to exactly where I needed to be to hear you reveal the wisdom you placed in a simple man’s message last night.  I thank you for the blessing of watching those 3 teenagers give their lives to you…and for the music that helped me have such a special worship time with you.  I truly need to wake up…and realize that you made me for this time…and you want me to do a special work for you… to somehow change the world’s view of who you are ....and how your love can transform us into the people you want us to be.  Open my eyes…and ears…so I can see you clearly and hear your quiet voice tell me your next plans for me….the ones that are meant to prosper me and give me hope for my future. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment