Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Beware Of Resting Too Long


Nehemiah 7:1-3 -  After the wall had been rebuilt and I had set the doors in place, the gatekeepers and the singers and the Levites were appointed.  I put in charge of Jerusalem my brother Hanani, along with Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most men do.  I said to them, "The gates of Jerusalem are not to be opened until the sun is hot. While the gatekeepers are still on duty, have them shut the doors and bar them. Also appoint residents of Jerusalem as guards, some at their posts and some near their own houses."

 

The wall was finished…gates hung…gatekeepers appointed….and Levites placed in charge of the many jobs of the Temple and gates. Nehemiah chose two godly men to govern the city…and charged the whole city with the responsibility of watching their section of the wall for dangers.  Each citizen was to watch and guard carefully the section of wall closest to their home. The gates were to stay closed until everyone was awake and alert….and closed before the guards went to sleep for the night.

 

Nehemiah knew the dangers of resting to much in the satisfaction of a job well done.  He wanted the people to know that just because they had a wall…they were not protected from every type of attack. He called them to be alert at all times...never truly resting completely…but always keeping a sense of awareness in their spirit…always taking the time to guard against the surprise attacks that might be plotted against them.

 

I like to grab a cold glass of water or pop after a long session of gardening…weeding…or mowing.  It is so wonderful to sit and enjoy the pure beauty of the yard after you have toiled in it.  We look forward to those yearly vacations…where we can leave our work and stress behind for a time…and walk a peaceful beach…or sit next to a lake …napping with a fishing pole in one hand. There is nothing more peaceful to me than to sit next to a small stream…and listen to the sounds of the water rushing over the rocks.

 

But I am reminded today that these trips of rest and relaxing are but a short moment…compared to the rest of our lives. We must temper the joy and peace we feel in true rest with the knowledge that life has gone on in our absence. Even in the short weeks of vacation…we usually get someone to check our properties…..collect the mail…water the plants…feed and care for our pets. Someone fills our shoes while we are gone.

 

In our search for ways to rest and relieve the great stress we feel in work or burdens of illness…or depression form loss…we forget sometimes that the only true rest we have is in the father…and the saving grace his son Jesus gave to us when he gave his life for our sins.  Jesus spoke of it in Matthew 11:28...he said…. “"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” We seek out rest in earthly pleasures…when God wants us to see our rest in his love for us.

 

Father…thank you for this reminder that I need to be ever watchful of enemy attacks. Satan is ever watching for a weakness…a time when I have let my guard down. Help me to always to keep one eye open...posting a guard for satan’s tricks.  Help me to run to you with my stress and weariness…so you can make my burden light.  Help me to be more thankful for the moments of peace and rest you have already granted me….and use them to build myself up for the next job you give me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment