Monday, September 23, 2013

Refuse To Give In To Fear....Pray For Strength


Nehemiah 6:9-11 -  They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, "Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed." [But I prayed,] "Now strengthen my hands."  One day I went to the house of Shemaiah son of Delaiah, the son of Mehetabel, who was shut in at his home. He said, "Let us meet in the house of God, inside the temple, and let us close the temple doors, because men are coming to kill you--by night they are coming to kill you."  But I said, "Should a man like me run away? Or should one like me go into the temple to save his life? I will not go!"

 

The wall around Jerusalem was being repaired in record time….and the enemies that sought to keep it torn down got desperate.  So they began to plot to kill Nehemiah…thinking that if they killed this leader …surely the people would be so frightened they would stop work on the wall. Four times they sent messengers to tell Nehemiah to come meet with them…but Nehemiah always said no…and prayed to God for strength instead.

 

The fifth time they sent an unsealed letter…full of lies about Nehemiah’s intentions. The letter was meant to stir up trouble against Nehemiah’s good character…and scare him into hiding in the Temple.  But he was not afraid….he knew his place was not in the Temple…it was outside rebuilding the wall.  So with the strength he had received from God in prayer…he continued to encourage the people to finish the wall. 

 

Nehemiah is a model to me of how to face my worst fears.  His resolve to finish God’s work…came from the relationship he had with God in prayer.  He refused to give in to the ploys that satan created around him to slow down the mission God had given him to do. He was so focused on the job had given him to do ...praying for strength and guidance all along the way...he could discern the traps set to slow him down.

 

The relationship we have with God determines what we do when faced with fears of any kind.  Satan knows just what buttons to push to scare us…and the only way we can send him packing is to call on the name of Jesus to give us strength and courage to tell him to go away. We must stand strong in our faith …and refuse to give in to the fear and lies satan presents to our hearts to intimidate us.  We must instead call out to God for strength and courage to keep moving forward in the task he gave us all to do.

 

Father…thank you for this great story that reminds me to call out to you when I am scared.  Help me to always remember to stop and pray to you for strength and courage…then allow you to fill me with your wisdom and your love…so that I can send satan packing with his bag of lies. Show me how to pray like Nehemiah…and gain strength and wisdom and courage from my time with you.  Show me how to face my fears …with your great strength and power…allowing you to hold my hand.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment