Saturday, September 7, 2013

God's Mercy Has Limits...Judgment Will Come


2 Chronicles 36:15-16 - The LORD, the God of their fathers, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place.  But they mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the LORD was aroused against his people and there was no remedy.

 

After Josiah’s death...several of his sons took a turn at ruling in Jerusalem.  They were evil in God’s eyes and led the people back into the heathen practices of idol worship. God’s great mercy allowed them to stay in Jerusalem for a time…while he warned them with many prophets to return back to worshiping only God. They paid tribute to the king of Babylon…but were allowed to live in their own city.

 

One day …God reached his limit of mercy and his judgment came swift and furious. He allowed the Babylonian king to come and destroy the city…burn the Temple….and break the wall that protected them.  Many were killed outright in a bloody bath of war…young…old…women…children….all died horrible deaths.  The few that survived the massacre were taken as slaves to Babylon and held for 70 years.

 

My Life Application Bible put it this way…. “Sin often repeated, but not repented of, invites disaster!”  God’s great mercy has limits…and if we are not careful…and continue to harbor known sin in our lives… God will bring judgment.  It will be swift…it will be thorough…it will fit our sin.  It will knock us to our knees…break our hardened hearts…and give us time to think about the relationship we should have built with God.

 

But here’s the cool thing about God…even if we get to that point…and bring God’s judgment on our ourselves…he never leaves us.  The whole time they were being held captive in Babylon…God was there.  His presence was still in their lives…strengthening….teaching…transforming the once cold heart into a place where he could live again. It took a while….but during that 70 years of captivity…. God reestablished himself in their lives….in the midst of their pain…while he was punishing them for their sin.

 

It reminds me of my mom and dad.  They would always punish me when they caught me doing something wrong. But as soon as my spanking….grounding… time alone in my room….or ban of TV time was over…they would draw me close and hug me….and tell me how much they loved me.  Life would continue…and they would create a new routine that would teach me the right thing to do…so I would be stronger after my punishment.

 

I am reminded this morning to always listen to the prophet…or friend God sends to warn me of my sin.  I am reminded to keep my eyes and heart ever listening to God’s still small voice when I read his word or pray.  I am reminded that I need to be careful….and always catch sin quickly…and not harbor it in my life.  God has limits to what he will allow to stay in my life…and he will judge me and punish me it I don’t remove it completely.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder to be ever aware of the sin that might be present in my life.  Help me to honestly examine every aspect of my living…and make sure that all I do is pleasing and honors you. Help me to realize that the consequences you allow in my life as judgment…are teaching me how to live a better life. I thank you that you never leave us…that you are always present and working toward my good. Help me this day to reexamine all the actions and routines in my life….send me clear directions for anything that needs to be removed or changed because it is not pleasing to you or it does not glorify your work here on Earth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment