Sunday, September 15, 2013

Stop An Declare A Fast


Ezra 8:21 - 21 There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions.

 

Ezra had left Babylon with 15 subclans of Israelites.  He had stopped at the river to count and organize the people who would be traveling with him. He had noticed the absence of Levites….and sent to Eliezer… the high priest to send him some Levites to help be in charge of the gold and silver items they would be carrying back to the city….and help the worship when they arrived.

 

Before Ezra left on his 900 mile journey…he stopped for three days…and proclaimed a fast…to pray and seek God’s direction and protection on the lives of all involved in the trip.  He did not want to ask the king for help…he had already bragged on his God’s ability to protect and provide for their every need.

 

So Ezra did what Moses did and recorded in Exodus 34…he fasted…and focused his complete being on God and what he would have this group of people do as they left Babylon.  Moses fasted 40 days….while he received the 10 commandments…the presence of God so overwhelming to his being that he did not even think of eating.  But Ezra purposed in  his heart to fast…to do without food or water for 3 days…so he could spend more time praying and seeking direction from God.

 

Fasting seems so out of place in our hurry up world of fast food and a restaurant on every block. The last thing most of us think of… is doing without food or water…just to pray.  Most people who share their testimony about this biblical concept have watered the true concept down to giving up one item in their life.

 

I will admit that I have never completed a period of fasting where I gave up all my physical needs….food and water….in a situation where I had separated myself even from the busy world.  I sure never went off in a wilderness for 40 days…just to pray and seek God….like Jesus.  I am guilty of watering down my fast choice of no coffee for a time…or no sweets for a week….or no facebook for three days…with the support of other physical pleasures that made up for the thing I might have given up.

 

Maybe it is unrealistic to take this scripture literally…and stop everything for three days…and just pray. But I can’t help but think God is trying to help me understand the next level of letting go of the world…so we can better understand the way his heart thinks.  I just bet there are some pretty great testimonies of blessings that came from the ones who have tried it…the way Ezra …and Moses (Exodus 34)…and Jesus(Matthew 4)…and David(2 Samuel 12) …and Hannah (1 Samuel 1)…and Elijah (2 Kings 19)…and Paul (Acts 9)….completely and entirely set themselves in a place of quiet …where they could concentrate on nothing but God…for a period of days.

 

Perhaps this scripture is a reminder that Jesus supported and even modeled for us the need to separate ourselves from time to time to concentrate on nothing but God’s will for our life. Perhaps we are not to justify ….NOT fasting...because the world thinks it is too radical or crazy….but rather really pray for God to open up a block of time that we can experience this spiritual concept for ourselves…in its pure sense…without the interruptions of life and a busy world of work and family.  Maybe we should as Ezra did….even take our families and close friends with us …so they can see what the spirit is able to do when we concentrate on nothing but God.

                                                                  

Father….I thank you this day for the reminder that I need to stop occasionally and inquire of you what direction I need to go.  I am sorry that I have never truly grasped the concept of what a full fast is…or allowed you to speak with me in this intense way.  I ask this morning for you to help me find a block of time when I can experience a full fast…the way you explained it to your disciples in Matthew 6.  Show me the time that I can give all my time….energy and love to you…so you can show me a bigger…clearer picture of your will for my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment