Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Turn Your Prayers Of Sorrow Into A Passion For Change


Nehemiah 1:8-10 -  "Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations,  but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'  "They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand.

 

Nehemiah was one of the exiles to Babylon that chose to stay in his comfortable job.  He was the cup bearer to the king…in charge of tasting everything the king was given to eat and drink…to ensure it was not tainted or spoiled in some way. It was an important job…that allowed him to live in the Palace…comfortable and well taken care of.

 

But one day some of his friends came to visit…and told him of the state of the wall that once surrounded the great city of Jerusalem. Nehemiah’s heart was instantly burdened for his friends…his family…the remnant of Judah that had chosen to return home and rebuild the Temple.  He stopped everything…began to fast….and pray to God for direction.  His heart remembered the prayer of Moses in Leviticus 26:33….and he quoted it boldly as he knelt before the Lord.

 

Nehemiah went one step further….and lifted his eyes from the sadness he felt.  He allowed God to exchange the sadness with a purpose to change what had burdened him. He rose with boldness to seek the permission of his king…to return to his people…and be in charge of rebuilding the wall of protection that had given the Israelites such strength and confidence. Nehemiah allowed God to transform his sadness from the burden he felt…into an energy and passion to complete the work God had called him to do.

 

What a great model for all of us who tend to focus too long on the problem.  We lift up a burden to God night after night in our prayers….never stopping to think that God might have plans to use us to change it.  We need to pray the way Nehemiah did…and allow God to reveal the resources he has placed in our hands to begin to fix the problem we have been burdened about. We need to look past the sadness and pain of the problem…to the joy that will come when God reveals his purpose and answer. Then we need to go one more step…and become part of the answer.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that no problem in our world is new to you.  Thank you for the many people you have burdened to pray for just one of these troubles ….thank you for the many prayers they have offered to ask you to intervene like Nehemiah did.  Help me to take the time to pray like Nehemiah…and lift up the pain I see in others…as well as the pains of my own heart. Help me to open my eyes to see the resources you have placed in my hands to change one of the many things that people struggle with each day.  Help me to put my compassion in prayer to the next level…and begin to use my time to transform my prayer of intervention into a passion to change the world…one problem at a time.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment