Tuesday, September 17, 2013

True Repentance Changes Our Behavior


Ezra 10:10-12 - Then Ezra the priest stood up and said to them, "You have been unfaithful; you have married foreign women, adding to Israel's guilt.  Now make confession to the LORD, the God of your fathers, and do his will. Separate yourselves from the peoples around you and from your foreign wives."  The whole assembly responded with a loud voice: "You are right! We must do as you say.

 

Ezra had been praying…crying out to God for direction.  The people had intermarried with the heathen nations around them….and diluted their faith with the beliefs of their wives. A large group of people had gathered around him…and were praying with him. 

 

Then Ezra stood with certainty in his heart that he had received the answer he sought from God. He called for them to confess their sins…and separate themselves once more as the chosen people of God. And all the people …except for 4…agreed…and began the long process of coming before the priest to confess their sins…and offer a sacrifice to God for their sins.

 

It is a reminder to me that true repentance does not stop with confession…it leads to a change of heart that drives you to change your behavior.  And the process is much simpler for me than these Israelites…for since Jesus already paid the sacrifice for my sins…all I have to do is confess my sins and let his Holy Spirit help me change my behavior.

 

I admit…it isn’t always convenient to fall our knees like Ezra…and cry out to God for what to change….and it may be difficult to separate ourselves form the things that cause us to sin the most…it just seems so radical to our hearts.  I admit that true change does not happen overnight…these Israelites continued to meet with the priests…purging of these women and children from their lives for 3 months.

 

God holds the strength…and the courage …and the wisdom for all of us that need to release something sinful from our lives.  Philippians 4:13 says…. “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” It doesn’t say some things…or most things…it says all things. Paul said in 2 Timothy 2:1…"Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

 

Father…help me examine my life for anything that is sinful to you.  Give me a time that I can come to you and pray…and call out for you to help me confess it before men…so you can forgive me…and help me release it completely from my life.  Place in me the courage of Paul and Ezra…to fall at your feet and pray for direction before you….then stand and speak confidently the answers you place in my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment