Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Study Deeper...And Act On Its Directions


Nehemiah 8: 14-16 -  They found written in the Law, which the LORD had commanded through Moses, that the Israelites were to live in booths during the feast of the seventh month and that they should proclaim this word and spread it throughout their towns and in Jerusalem: "Go out into the hill country and bring back branches from olive and wild olive trees, and from myrtles, palms and shade trees, to make booths"--as it is written.  So the people went out and brought back branches and built themselves booths on their own roofs, in their courtyards, in the courts of the house of God and in the square by the Water Gate and the one by the Gate of Ephraim.
 
Nehemiah had asked Ezra to read the Law given to Moses to all the people.  So they gathered next to the water gate…near the city plaza…and stood while they listened to the holy words of God.  The words convicted their hearts…..causing them to weep and mourn for the time they had disobeyed God. They were told not to cry…but to celebrate this sacred day…and begin this day to change their behavior.
 
They noticed a scripture that required them to live in tents during the upcoming Festival Of Tabernacles. So they wiped their tears of shame and remorse…and turned their attention to gathering the limbs and wood they would need to build tents on their roof.  They lived in them for 7 days…while they celebrated the festival ….and took the first step in total obedience to God’s word.
 
This story reminds me of the importance of reading God’s word…and studying it for ourselves to find some practical application to our lives.  We can gather on Sunday in our churches….even cry tears of remorse at the altar when we are convicted of a sin…but do we take those words home with us and truly apply them to our lives.
 
I am guilty of listening to the sermon on Sunday…..even writing a reference to the scripture on my church bulletin….but never going back to study it in detail. I think in my heart that it is a message just for me….but never go back and ponder it on my own.  I get so caught up in the routine of reading one chapter a night…that I never think of looking up a second passage of scripture…to explore a deeper understanding of something the preacher said on Sunday.
 
Guess I had better take the hint…and begin to study more than my one chapter a night. I don’t think he wants me to build a tent on my roof…but I do believe he has a job of some sort for me to do.  Perhaps …if I searched and pondered the scriptures he leads my pastor to preach about on Sunday on my own time later in the week….I would have a clearer picture of what he does want me to do day by day.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment