Friday, September 6, 2013

God Speaks Through All Things


2 Chronicles 35: 21-22 -But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, "What quarrel is there between you and me, O king of Judah? It is not you I am attacking at this time, but the house with which I am at war. God has told me to hurry; so stop opposing God, who is with me, or he will destroy you."  Josiah, however, would not turn away from him, but disguised himself to engage him in battle. He would not listen to what Neco had said at God's command but went to fight him on the plain of Megiddo.

 

Egypt had gone to war with Assyria…and Josiah wanted to fight too. He had disguised himself….taken off his royal robes…so he would blend in with his troops.  He refused to believe Neco’s warning from God that he should not fight….and got fatally wounded in the battle. His men were able to carry him back to Jerusalem….but they were not able to stop his death.

 

The king of Egypt simply wanted to pass through Judah so he could have an advantage in his fight against Assyria. Perhaps Josiah felt Neco was lying…that his warning was a ploy to get entrance to the kingdom…but he did not base his fear on any advice from God…just a mistrust …that was based solely on the belief that God would not have talked to a heathen king.

 

It is a reminder to me that God speaks his directions through many avenues….Christian brothers….the Bible…even our unsaved friends and family as well. It is clear from this story that God tried to warn Josiah…but he would not believe the words of a heathen king. His decision to mistrust the king’s words cost him his life.

 

Josiah should have remembered his faith when he heard those words of warning.  He should have run to the temple….or dropped to his knees right there…and cried out to God to reveal whether it was real or not.  Josiah should have soaked in the words…pondered them…and taken the time to ask God if they were true…ignoring the source of where they came.   Come to think about it…we shouldn’t accept the words of our Christian friends so quick…sometimes taking their advice without checking with God first.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you sent your son into this world for all of us.  Help me to accept that you sometimes use non-believers to work out your plans for the world.  I was once a non-believer…and I thank you that you spoke to me…and convinced me to believe in your perfect love.  Go with me today…and help me listen to everyone around me with intent ears…so I will not miss anything you try to tell me.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment