Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Take A Stand For God's Way


Ezra 4:1-3 -  The enemies of Judah and Benjamin heard that the exiles were rebuilding a Temple to the LORD, the God of Israel.  So they approached Zerubbabel and the other leaders and said, "Let us build with you, for we worship your God just as you do. We have sacrificed to him ever since King Esarhaddon of Assyria brought us here."  But Zerubbabel, Jeshua, and the other leaders of Israel replied, "You may have no part in this work, for we have nothing in common. We alone will build the Temple for the LORD, the God of Israel, just as King Cyrus of Persia commanded us."
 
The people of Israel met with opposition within three years of rebuilding the temple.  The enemies and neighboring people that had settled in their lands while they were in captivity were worried about the quick progress they were making on the Temple.  They remembered how strong a people they had been …and set in their hearts to stop the work on the Temple of God.
 
They stretched the truth to try and win their trust. They did worship God…along with several other pagan idols and shrines. But the priests and leaders were on to their tactics…and knew that God would never accept their shared loved…and quickly sent them away….. even knowing in their heart that sending them away would cause them more trouble.
 
I will admit that I am not this strong sometimes.   I allow the crowd to sway me way more than I should….the fun and the attention of the moment….even distracting me for a time from what I know to be the right thing.   This story reminds me that I need to take a stand for what God has planted in my heart as right. I need to be so sure of God’s plan for my life…so familiar with his word….so attune to what he would do from my daily visits in prayer…that I stand up with confidence like Zerrubabbel…and speak God’s truth as I walk away from the things that God would not like.
 
I need to re-read the instructions of Paul in Ephesians 6…where he describes for us how to be strong in the Lords power. I need to put on my whole armor…then remember I am wearing it….before I engage in conversations…allow the world to tire me…or let satan trick me into thinking that something I want is God’s will too.
 
Father…I thank you for this reminder that I allow the world to influence me way more than I stand up for what you have taught me.  Help me this day to reexamine my motives for all that I am doing…and planning for my future…and make sure that everything lines up with what you have taught me so far. Show me the basics once again of how to put on the armor that will give me confidence and strength in what you have planned for my life. Place a red flag in front of me when I need to say no…..and give me the strength to walk away…or send away the things of the world that are not your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment