Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Eyes Of Faith...Produce Prayers Of Power


2 Chronicles 32:6-8 -   He appointed military officers over the people and assembled them before him in the square at the city gate and encouraged them with these words:  "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him.  With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." And the people gained confidence from what Hezekiah the king of Judah said.

 

Assyria invaded Judah and laid siege to many of the fortified cities.  So Hezekiah did what he could to discourage the army from staying very long.  He used the intelligence God gave him to limit the water the foreign army would have at their disposal…and repaired the wall protecting the rest of the cities remaining.  Then he appointed military officers to lead the people and reminded them that they had Yahweh…and he was bigger and more powerful than any army that Assyria could form against them.

 

Hezekiah had kept his heart and eyes focused on God…and he saw the power of God instead of the vast army that threatened his nation.  Part of me wishes God had recorded the words that Isaiah the prophet and Hezekiah cried out to God that caused God to send the angel that destroyed the Assyrian army….but perhaps it wasn’t a combination of words that brought God’s wrath to Assyria…but a heart that refused to be controlled by the fear of man.  He chose instead to cry out to God…and seek his power.

 

I needed a reminder today…to not let the world’s pain and suffering get me down.  I needed to be encouraged like those military leaders who had been charged with protecting the people. I needed to be encouraged and told that God is more powerful than any problem I will face today. I needed to be reminded that my true strength is in joining someone else in crying out to God for help…and trusting that he will send his angel to take care of me…no matter what I face.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that you are only a cry away…with all the strength and power I can imagine…and more.  Forgive me for letting the world once again keep me bogged down and sad.  Help me to learn to cry out to you…so I can watch your angels come and comfort and heal. Show me how to let go of the last remnants of my sadness…and let you transform my pain and sorrow into joy unimaginable. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment