Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Clean Up Your Heart Every Day


Amos 3:10-11 -  "My people have forgotten what it means to do right," says the LORD. "Their fortresses are filled with wealth taken by theft and violence.  Therefore," says the Sovereign LORD, "an enemy is coming! He will surround them and shatter their defenses. Then he will plunder all their fortresses."

 

Amos continues to speak the words of God to the people.  God gives him the very reasons for their judgment. He had chosen them…and given them the rules that would help them do right…but they had forgotten them.  They had done whatever made them happy…whatever filled their pockets with wealth…even if it mistreated or hurt the others around them. So God was going to allow all the possessions they had acquired the wrong way to be plundered.

 

It was sin that distorted their view. It was sin that separated them from their source of goodness.  The more sin they allowed in their lives…the harder it was to remember the God that brought them to such a great land.  The longer they sinned…the more it took control of their hearts and souls and minds.

 

It is a reminder to me to constantly clean up my heart.  Just as we wash our dishes on a daily basis...so should we wash our hearts of sin each day.  We need to spend time in the presence of God each day…so he can help us to uncover any sin that might be a problem later in the week….or month…or year. That sin…if left in our lives….will eventually have us hiding in the garden….just like Adam and Eve.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that sin separates me from you.  Forgive me for the times I have harbored sin...known or unknown...in my life…and left it there long enough to affect my relationship with you.  Help me to listen closely to you each morning and evening as I study and pray…so you can uncover any sin before it damages my heart.  Keep my heart strong…totally connected to you…so as soon as you uncover any sins…I will confess t quickly…so you can wash it away from my life…and restore me back to a right relationship with you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment